• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding feeder Dubia vs. feeding breeder Dubia

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
I swear when I was doing all my pre-dragon research, I read somewhere that you can feed orange slices to breeder dubia roaches but not to feeder dubia roaches. I have been searching all over and cannot seem to find that anywhere. So, are there things that you can feed to breeders that you should not feed to feeders? I only have feeders and much of the info I find is for colonies.

I also have roach chow that is made by the person I get my roaches from and feed the roaches mustard greens and carrots and other dragon safe veggies daily. I will only have 100-200 at a time. Are the fresh greens and veggies providing enough water/moisture or should I get the water crystals? I have seen a lot of conflicting opinions about them (which is why I am asking about orange slices). If the water crystals are good/safe, where is a good place to get them?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Orange slices are fine, roaches love them. I feed my breeders the same foods that I feed my feeders, and I have no issues. I would be careful about the roach chow that you use. Some of it is just ground up dog or cat food, which can cause bloating and discomfort if your beardie has a sensitive stomach.

The roaches will likely get enough moisture from their veggies to stay alive, but if you give them water crystals, they'll be as happy as a roach can be. Water crystals are safe, no worries there. I order crystals online and soak them myself. It's cheaper that way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Citrus fruit isn't good for beardies. I was was always told that it is okay to feed your breeders oranges but your feeders should be fed the same safe foods that you feed your beardie.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oranges have high amounts of vit C and can lead to toxicity and sugars are not good for them. so I make sure my feeder dubia are not fed oranges.. Really the deal about oranges is the male roach they are like an aphrodisiac and get's them in the mood lol so you can also just feed your breeders them especially if you want to get things going faster.

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! I will avoid oranges for the roaches. They do seem to enjoy the mustard greens, sweet potato and carrots I have given them!

Reload

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there any research available that supports feeding oranges to feeder roaches lead to toxicity in bearded dragons that are fed them? Totally understand the logic but seems like a lot of factors would be involved. Example would be a deer can and will eat many different kinds of toxic plants but it does not effect those that eat the deer.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is there any research available that supports feeding oranges to feeder roaches lead to toxicity in bearded dragons that are fed them? Totally understand the logic but seems like a lot of factors would be involved. Example would be a deer can and will eat many different kinds of toxic plants but it does not effect those that eat the deer.

It's not that oranges are toxic, it's just that oranges are high in acid and have too much vitamin c for them. Are they going to die if they eat an orange? Probably not, but it's just not something they should eat everyday.

Reload

Bearded Dragon Egg
I didn't indicate oranges are toxic. Hdrydr31 indicated feeding oranges to feeders could lead to toxicity in BD's fed them. I asked if there is any supporting data. Understanding oranges are acidic are we assuming when a feeder consumes the orange that there is no change in the properties of the orange? Does it stay acidic?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It really is more of the fact that the feeders can hold in food that they then pass onto our dragons too much acid build up can't be good, it's all about keeping a good variety of foods so not to build up too much of any of the vitamins. Vit is water soluble and will come out in the feces, however too much will lead to diarrhea. Then the diarrhea leads to ....... they are also relatively high in sugar and too much sugar isn't good either.