• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye issue

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My baby, Nykyrian, started having an issue with his eye 2 days ago. We have a check up scheduled for Thursday. Does anyone know what it could be.
20210509_220139.jpg
20210509_220044.jpg
20210509_220058.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My baby, Nykyrian, started having an issue with his eye 2 days ago. We have a check up scheduled for Thursday. Does anyone know what it could be.View attachment 27065View attachment 27066View attachment 27067
Please tell me what your using for lighting-- please No coil UVB's No colored bulbs No heat mats or heat rocks-- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank-- coils are notorious for eye issues-- you can rinse his eye out w/ some saline solution No contact lens stuff and put some raw unpasteurized honey like manuka- you can mix w/ a little water for consistency this will kill any infection going on- DO NOT leave any crickets in the tank

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please tell me what your using for lighting-- please No coil UVB's No colored bulbs No heat mats or heat rocks-- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank-- coils are notorious for eye issues-- you can rinse his eye out w/ some saline solution No contact lens stuff and put some raw unpasteurized honey like manuka- you can mix w/ a little water for consistency this will kill any infection going on- DO NOT leave any crickets in the tank
I have a T5, a basking light, and a ceramic heater. No crickets are in the tank at all, I have a separate tank for feeding. He is going through his first shed and is being treated for coccidia (I got him from an expo and he came home with it.) Everything has been bleached and rinsed. I'm using butcher paper for a substrate, I usually use a reptile carpet, until he is cleared up

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a T5, a basking light, and a ceramic heater. No crickets are in the tank at all, I have a separate tank for feeding. He is going through his first shed and is being treated for coccidia (I got him from an expo and he came home with it.) Everything has been bleached and rinsed. I'm using butcher paper for a substrate, I usually use a reptile carpet, until he is cleared up
T5 basking light? You mean a T 5 UVB? Basking lights should be a solid bright white bulb and produce heat a UVB does not produce heat and is crucial for prevention of MBD-- the ceramic heater emitter should only be used to accommodate the basking light for heat OR to be used at nite to keep temps about 65 or above and not above 75-- please post a pic of the tank and lighting or look on your bulbs to tell me what they are

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This could be just shed as well -- I do see shedding-- they to tend to swell up w/ shedding --

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
T5 basking light? You mean a T 5 UVB? Basking lights should be a solid bright white bulb and produce heat a UVB does not produce heat and is crucial for prevention of MBD-- the ceramic heater emitter should only be used to accommodate the basking light for heat OR to be used at nite to keep temps about 65 or above and not above 75-- please post a pic of the tank and lighting or look on your bulbs to tell me what they are
It's all the above. It's what you posted. The heater is for night. The T5 UVB is new. My last one didn't do this when he was shedding. We see the vet on Thursday, just going to monitor, it hasn't increased in size, so that's good.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's all the above. It's what you posted. The heater is for night. The T5 UVB is new. My last one didn't do this when he was shedding. We see the vet on Thursday, just going to monitor, it hasn't increased in size, so that's good.
Ok so if all is good w/ the lighting then its more than likely shed -- but it is really swollen -- any crickets being left in the tank ? If so they could of biten him and that would cause swelling

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok so if all is good w/ the lighting then its more than likely shed -- but it is really swollen -- any crickets being left in the tank ? If so they could of biten him and that would cause swelling
Nope, I have a separate feeding tank so I don't have to worry about that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, I have a separate feeding tank so I don't have to worry about that.
Ok did you rinse the eye w/ some saline--- you can take a soft baby tooth brush and brush the loose shed off as well -