• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

eye irritation help

Astrids Ma n Pa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, i have a pretty young baby beardie. Her name is Astrid, she is roughly about 2 months old, maybe a little older by a week or so. She was the largest and healthiest baby available out of about 4 or 5. we have had her for 16 days, she started eating from the moment we got her home. she went straight to her salad of collared greens, yellow squash and fresh green beans. about an hour later she ate about 4 to 5 small crickets dusted with calcium ( without d3). she has had no problem adjusting into a 40 gal front opening THRIVE Home. i set up everything up ahead of time and did multiple days of research for about a week and a half before getting her. She has done very well adjusting, no real signs of stress except for a mishap with about 10 crickets that were left in for a few days. i noticed the problem once she was sleeping on the cord for her digital therm/hydro in the warm half. I keep temp during the day around 110 f on warm half and roughly 80-85 on cool side. i mostly leave her che on all day and night next to the basking bulb. she has a large hide and a hammock for basking that's about7 to 8 inches from the hot bulb, the electric gauge directly under her heat lamp reads around 120 with che and 110 to 112 without. there is a 24" uvb 10.0 from reptisun inside fastened to the inside wire mesh about 6 to 7" from main basking area. she is eating very well, maybe less veggies then id like but she gets some occasionally. we are in colorado at the start of fall, her hydro is mostly around 25 to 30 at all times. her water dish is inside but she only drank from it once on her first day. She warmed up really fast and lets me ( Pa ) hand feed her 3 times a day ( when not at work) morning and night on work days. she is already very comfortable with being held for 10 min at a time, she just had her first bath in warm water today after 2 weeks. My main concern is starting 3 days ago her left eye started watering after shedding while i was at work. I then kept her tank a little more moist, i sprayed in the morning and evening while my wife sprayed twice while i was gone. The eye didnt stop but didnt get worse until today. i went to Petsmart where i go a lot, there is 3 women and a man that have their own beardies and really well versed, i was directed to a shedding help spray and was given direction on using a good saline with no preservatives and not for contacts but could only find an aerosol type for wound wash. i didnt get that and made my own saline at home. once ready to clean her eye i noticed a brown semi crusty build up that wasnt present that morning. i used a cotton swab with the saline and cleaned all around her very gentle but thorough, and rubbed a little shed spray on her. her eye isnt swollen at all, the discharge is clear, and after cleaning the brown off her eye looked much better. i gave her an extra warm bath about 2 hours later and some clear discharge is still present but less than before. should i just keep cleaning a couple times daily or should i take her to get looked at? Thank you for any advice

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, i have a pretty young baby beardie. Her name is Astrid, she is roughly about 2 months old, maybe a little older by a week or so. She was the largest and healthiest baby available out of about 4 or 5. we have had her for 16 days, she started eating from the moment we got her home. she went straight to her salad of collared greens, yellow squash and fresh green beans. about an hour later she ate about 4 to 5 small crickets dusted with calcium ( without d3). she has had no problem adjusting into a 40 gal front opening THRIVE Home. i set up everything up ahead of time and did multiple days of research for about a week and a half before getting her. She has done very well adjusting, no real signs of stress except for a mishap with about 10 crickets that were left in for a few days. i noticed the problem once she was sleeping on the cord for her digital therm/hydro in the warm half. I keep temp during the day around 110 f on warm half and roughly 80-85 on cool side. i mostly leave her che on all day and night next to the basking bulb. she has a large hide and a hammock for basking that's about7 to 8 inches from the hot bulb, the electric gauge directly under her heat lamp reads around 120 with che and 110 to 112 without. there is a 24" uvb 10.0 from reptisun inside fastened to the inside wire mesh about 6 to 7" from main basking area. she is eating very well, maybe less veggies then id like but she gets some occasionally. we are in colorado at the start of fall, her hydro is mostly around 25 to 30 at all times. her water dish is inside but she only drank from it once on her first day. She warmed up really fast and lets me ( Pa ) hand feed her 3 times a day ( when not at work) morning and night on work days. she is already very comfortable with being held for 10 min at a time, she just had her first bath in warm water today after 2 weeks. My main concern is starting 3 days ago her left eye started watering after shedding while i was at work. I then kept her tank a little more moist, i sprayed in the morning and evening while my wife sprayed twice while i was gone. The eye didnt stop but didnt get worse until today. i went to Petsmart where i go a lot, there is 3 women and a man that have their own beardies and really well versed, i was directed to a shedding help spray and was given direction on using a good saline with no preservatives and not for contacts but could only find an aerosol type for wound wash. i didnt get that and made my own saline at home. once ready to clean her eye i noticed a brown semi crusty build up that wasnt present that morning. i used a cotton swab with the saline and cleaned all around her very gentle but thorough, and rubbed a little shed spray on her. her eye isnt swollen at all, the discharge is clear, and after cleaning the brown off her eye looked much better. i gave her an extra warm bath about 2 hours later and some clear discharge is still present but less than before. should i just keep cleaning a couple times daily or should i take her to get looked at? Thank you for any advice
Ok so I would raise the UVB to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb? the watering could be from the shed but please post a pic of it so we can see it --- shedding spray does not help --- and you dont need to use distilled water either - if you can drink your water so can they --- its fine --- humidity in the tank is what helps w/ shed --- 40-50% optimal taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer -- it sounds like your taking great care of her -- what are you using for a substrate? If its loose some could of gotten in her eye and has irritated it -- you can take some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff and rinse her eye ---