• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye infection?

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I recently noticed my beardie had a crust on his lower lid. I had hoped it was shed and would come off on its own. However, it has been several days and it is still there. The first day I noticed it, he had his eye mostly closed, but since then it is fully open. It hasn't gotten worse, it just hasnt gotten better. I will call my vet as soon as I am able (I forgot today with work insanity). If anyone know what it is, I would appreciate advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221009_195448.jpg
    20221009_195448.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221009_195445.jpg
    20221009_195445.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recently noticed my beardie had a crust on his lower lid. I had hoped it was shed and would come off on its own. However, it has been several days and it is still there. The first day I noticed it, he had his eye mostly closed, but since then it is fully open. It hasn't gotten worse, it just hasnt gotten better. I will call my vet as soon as I am able (I forgot today with work insanity). If anyone know what it is, I would appreciate advice. Thanks.
It does look swollen- what kind of substrate? And your using a long tube uvb?

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It does look swollen- what kind of substrate? And your using a long tube uvb?
Yes, a long tube UV fixture. I have cage carpet which I clean at minimum weekly expending on how dirty he gets it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, a long tube UV fixture. I have cage carpet which I clean at minimum weekly expending on how dirty he gets it.
Ok I am gonna have a vet tech take a look-- see what she thinks

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Your boyl is very pretty! Did he scratch his eye on something? It looks like dried blood? If he is shedding
that area, it is possible he was scratching his eye & his nail caught the lid by accident.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized honey? You can thin some out with warm water & using a swab, you
can apply it on the eye area. It is very safe to use.
So far, it doesn't look like it is infected though!

Tracie

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello,

Your boyl is very pretty! Did he scratch his eye on something? It looks like dried blood? If he is shedding
that area, it is possible he was scratching his eye & his nail caught the lid by accident.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized honey? You can thin some out with warm water & using a swab, you
can apply it on the eye area. It is very safe to use.
So far, it doesn't look like it is infected though!

Tracie
Thanks! I didn't see him scratch his eye, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. There is nothing in his tank that could scratch him, so I would assume his nail. I agree that it looks like dried blood, but I wasn't 100% sure. He is going to the vet today, but I do have the honey. At first it looked like it was really red, but after seeing his other eye more closely, I think it's just their eyes lol. I don't tend to get within inches of their eyeballs on a regular basis.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Update:
My beardie had a little build up on his eye, either from corneal shed, or from a scratch. The vet removed it and gave us some antibiotic eye drops to keep him from getting an infection. He was not too happy about the vet situation, but at least we got it figured out. Thanks!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That's great the vet was able to remove the buildup. I thought it was blood but it is hard to tell sometimes.
The antibiotic eye drops should help out a lot & ward off any impending infection too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie