• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ENORMOUS appetite

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all, should a 4 month old beardie be eating 60-80 insects a day, and sometimes more?! I feed him very small Dubia Roaches, or crickets, 4x a day (dusted 1x a day) until he turns up his nose at them and goes back to his basking spot. He toilets 2-3x a day (this morning in my hand... thanks buddy), and he eats his greens like a champ. Am I overfeeding him, or is this normal? Seems insane to me how his tiny body holds it all!!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yes, it's perfectly normal for a baby beardie to eat a lot of food. Since babies have such a high metabolism, it's not very likely you're overfeeding him staples. Just let him eat as much as he wants to within 10-15 minutes. It is crazy how those tiny lizard bellies can hold so much food. They're like little bottomless pits with legs!

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, it's perfectly normal for a baby beardie to eat a lot of food. Since babies have such a high metabolism, it's not very likely you're overfeeding him staples. Just let him eat as much as he wants to within 10-15 minutes. It is crazy how those tiny lizard bellies can hold so much food. They're like little bottomless pits with legs!
Phew thank you! That's helpful to know he's normal. I worry about him like I did my human babies... LOL