• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure of my beardies - everything ok?

C4ph4lor

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

I take care of two dragons (likely both male, I'm not sure yet). They are approx. 1 year old.
Because it seems like they are males they now live seperated - in different rooms even. At first they were fighting because of living in the same enclosure. Then I had both enclosures side-by-side - but it seemed also not very good for them, as they were stressed and "headbanging" very often.

I just wanted to show you the enclosure and ask for any tips or hints if/what I am doing wrong.

Drogadon (the smaller one) is generally more active in terms of running around and is also more eager to get out of the enclosure sometimes.
Balerion is more of a shy guy and prefers to stay inside or at the window looking out.

The enclosures are both the same: 120 x 60 x 60, OSB plates with a glass front, red sand as substrate and a 3d style backdrop.

IMG_20210513_112130.jpg

IMG_20210513_112136.jpg

IMG_20210513_112141.jpg

For lightning I use:

1x Zoomed T5 / LED UVB Panel

IMG_20210513_112146.jpg

1x JBL 100W UV-Spot 3-in-1 (Light - UV-B - Heat)

IMG_20210513_112150.jpg

Food:

Animals (powdered with ExoTerra Calcium + D3 powder supplement & ExoTerra Multi Vitamin powder):
-Crickets
-argentinian roaches
-Desert locusts
-Zophobas morio (the beetle) occasionally

Plants:
-Salads
-Carrots
-Basil
-dry flower mix

So - let the experts speak ;-) I hope I have provided all the necessary Information - if not I will provide needed infos asap.

Thanks in advance!
C4ph4lor

C4ph4lor

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't figure out how to edit my post... I hope it is simply not possible - else it would be quite depressing for an IT-junkie like myself :-D

Anyway:

Here are two additional pics from Balerion's domain (pics in the first post are from Drogadon's)

IMG_20210513_133040.jpg

IMG_20210513_133050.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't figure out how to edit my post... I hope it is simply not possible - else it would be quite depressing for an IT-junkie like myself :-D

Anyway:

Here are two additional pics from Balerion's domain (pics in the first post are from Drogadon's)

View attachment 27138

View attachment 27139
Please get rid of the red sand --- loose substrates are no good - they cause impaction - please replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- it is easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution -- please tell me the type of UVB your using brand and bulb please -- I believe I have seen this one before --- males should never be kept together and dragons should not be able to see one another -- its good you separated them as they would of killed each other -- NEVER let them out at the same time either -- what country are you in please?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You need to add more water to it, its way to dusty as it is, in my back left corner in my enclosure you can see what it’s supposed to look like, if theres any dust it Will hurt ur beardie.

Attachments

• 30040523-AEA6-4ADB-9BE9-E17BA36720D0.jpeg
    30040523-AEA6-4ADB-9BE9-E17BA36720D0.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 75

C4ph4lor

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to add more water to it, its way to dusty as it is, in my back left corner in my enclosure you can see what it’s supposed to look like, if theres any dust it Will hurt ur beardie.
Ah, I see! Thanks! So I just spray it every day on the surface for a few days? And of course find a good rhythm to maintain a good level afterwards... Is that sufficient?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ah, I see! Thanks! So I just spray it every day on the surface for a few days? And of course find a good rhythm to maintain a good level afterwards... Is that sufficient?
Noo, you need to add like 5-10cups of water, it looks like you used 3-5 bags? thoroughly mix it till its like a clay face mask, if theres any dust you need to add more water. Sand is fine, clay dust will give your beardies respitory infections.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you want to encourage digging behavior, do a ratio of “play sand” 70% to potting soil 30% (no fertilizer, no vermiculite, no tiny green balls that hold water)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The “stone desert” and “excavator clay” brands are really to create rock hard surfaces with dens and holes.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey!

Really? The sand is a special sand/claypowder mix, which is hard on the surface (more or less)... so they can dig (which they both love)

The UVB I use is:

JBL 100W UV-Spot 3-in-1 (Light - UV-B - Heat)

and this:

Zoomed T5 / LED combo

I'm in Austria...
Your basking light is good as long as its keeping temps at 95-100 and taken w / a digital probe thermometer at this time I dont see any gauges for temps -- -- I am wondering about the UVB tho I am gonna ask a friend of mine about those I am not really sure how good they are --- most of us use these as they are considered the best on the market at this time
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...620912309&sprefix=ZoomMed+24"+,aps,188&sr=8-2 the 10.0 bulb is used in the tank and the 5.0 can be used for a back up -- distance and placement is different from the bulbs tho
It looks like Skybug commented on your substrate -- it looked like it was sandy so if they like it and its not causing impaction then keep it but you definitely dont want alot of dust

C4ph4lor

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is specified with:

Brilliant Light! 6500K daylight high output LEDs for truly naturalistic lighting.

Includes ReptiSun® 5.0 T5 High Out lamp for safe and effective UVB and bright light for improved color rendering

So it consists of one t5 5.0 lamp and a LED panel.

Just that I understand you correctly: I should switch that to the 5.0 / 10.0 combo you have linked?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

Brilliant Light! 6500K daylight high output LEDs for truly naturalistic lighting.

Includes ReptiSun® 5.0 T5 High Out lamp for safe and effective UVB and bright light for improved color rendering

Just that I understand you correctly: I should switch that to the 5.0 / 10.0 combo you have linked?
Sadies really good with lighting, id take her advice, she helped me with mine aswell :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

You want a 10.0 bulb the 5.0 is considered for aquarium use and distance needs to be 6-8 inches for that bulb - if its any higher its not going to do much good -- so you would switch out the 5.0 it comes w/ hang on to it for a back up and use the 10.0 you will notice it being brighter --- distance for that bulb in the tank is 12-15 inches -- your 5.0 bulb you have now MUST BE IN THE TANK of which I see it is -- he should be able to get 6-8 inches under it -- and those bulbs need to be changed out every 6 months --- I recommend 5 -- the T 5 10.0 bulb needs to be changed out 1 time per year I recommend a month prior to