• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure critique?

DustOnTheWindow

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got a new baby, Faenor, yesterday and I want to make sure if theres anything we missed that it's taken care of before it causes any issues. So I was wondering if anyone would be ok critiquing my cage setup?
The cage is 48"×12"×24" with slate tile as a substrate. The basking area on the left is between 95 and 110, the ambient is around 80-85, and the lowest on the cooler side around 78, checked with an infared thermometer. The gradient at night is around 101 to 79 from the hottest to coolest side, and I use a ceramic heat emitter.
You can see Faenor on the left side. The branch was meant to be the basking area, but it ended up too hot with the current bulb wattage after a while so I switched it with a lower one and Faenor's been using the inside as a place to sleep instead.
DgbgrMI.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks good, I would allow the cool side to drop down some more into the low 70's they need the drop in temp.. As long as it doesn't go below 65F at night they are good, if it does drop then the CHE is perfectly fine to use.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The only thing that I see that may be a future issue is the height of the tank. If I'm reading it right it's 12 inches high??? If that is the case the dragon is going to be too close to the lights while basking. You really want them at least 6" away from the basking light so they don't get burned.

Now If I read that wrong and the tank is 12 inches deep, that is a problem too because then the dragon when it's an adult, is not going to be able to turn around easily.

DustOnTheWindow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you!! And yes, I have the lights raised a little so the light itself is around six inches from the top of the tank, if that sounds like it's ok? The highest point by the light is over six inches away as I measured - but if it'd still be an issue I can raise the light higher. The wattage of the bulb is also one of the lower ones, so the highest point by the light is around 100 farenheit. (and no you didn't! The tank is two feet deep)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Raising the light is good. Now just make sure that the UVB light doesn't shine right in the dragons eyes :)