• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ello, I'm Jazzie.

jasmineinka94

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself as well as ask a quick question. I have what I believe is a boy bearded dragon named Demonicus.. Demon for short( I think he's too young to see the two bumps and I haven't tried the light trick yet.) I believe he is only 2-4 months old. I wanted to ask.. Is calcium sand OK to use and how old should he be when and if I put it in his tank. I've heard. Mixed reviews on calcium sand and the sand I have came with the zoo med terrarium kit.
uploadfromtaptalk1403763117184.jpg

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I widnt use sand gor a small dragon it can.cause impact and b really deadly to ur baby. They shud b at least 14-16" b4 u think bout uaing sand. U can use newpaper papertowels. Not no i wudnt use sand for him :)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Beardies use there tounge to sence wots around them so they really wnjoy a gud lick of everything really so if ur little 1 has a lick around the viv it will eat sand. Also its hard to clean properly and when ur beardies active and havin a little run in its viv it will run sand through the salad n water dishes. I use tile for my civs very easy to clean cheap and keeps the temps up. I do have a little sand pit at the baskin end of the vivs but mine r both nearly a yr and dnt get fed near the sand. For ue beardies sake id get rid n if u do want to use sand at a later date i wudnt use calci sand just normal childrens play sand. It dnt clump togetha wen wet. U just need to bake it b4 puttin it in the viv :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Using calcium sand is like asking for trouble. I didn't use sand nor crushed walnut shells in Allie's tank. I have new bearded dragon coming in next month.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
True story used the sand that came with my first Viv and bearded dragon it killed him. Pet store doesn't tell you that either because they want to make money! Very bad for babies!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
True story used the sand that came with my first Viv and bearded dragon it killed him. Pet store doesn't tell you that either because they want to make money! Very bad for babies!

They also try to sell you large 90 gallon tanks that don't fit in your house. I have a small house and can only house a 45-55 gallon critter tank.