• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Elderly dragon feeding suggestions-Most calories possible

CcStelma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Elderly (16yo) Dragon feeding suggestions-He has become visually impaired and is unable to eat on his own. I have been feeding him baby food with a syringe for about a year now he has finally gotten used to it, and taking every opportunity to get waxworms in his mouth. He is undernourished. I am looking for suggestions to get he most calories/nutrients in him through syringe or by hand-Note he does not eat much at a time. He has been protesting against water as well, so he also is under hydrated. I have been running him under water every day. Help is appreciated. Thank you

CcStelma

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. He is a good doobie, love him....hate seeing him so thin. I am on Amazon right now

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Just be forewarned for when you mix the stuff, either brand, especially if you're using the carnivore one (but at 16 you probably want herbivore). The paste (and really the powder before you add water) smells *awful*. But it is a very helpful product. Let us know how your good boy is doing. :0)

CcStelma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ended up with the insectivore/carnivore and wow it stunk up the kitchen lol. He wouldn't eat it right away, so I had to get him going with some carrot baby food first. Once his mouth opened I switched out syringes. The dosing was odd-I just used 3 or 4 spoonfuls to start. Any extra nutrients will help. I let him loose in the screened porch for some real natural light and bird watching (as much as he can see...I am not sure)

Attachments

• Neelix 05.07.jpg
    Neelix 05.07.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 38

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I ended up with the insectivore/carnivore and wow it stunk up the kitchen lol. He wouldn't eat it right away, so I had to get him going with some carrot baby food first. Once his mouth opened I switched out syringes. The dosing was odd-I just used 3 or 4 spoonfuls to start. Any extra nutrients will help. I let him loose in the screened porch for some real natural light and bird watching (as much as he can see...I am not sure)
Hooray! I'm glad you got some of it into him and that he got some out time. I wonder if the herbivore one smells better :-D

Debh27

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I also have an older dragon 13 years old . I live in Florida and go to an exotic pet veterinarian . My bearded stopped eating on his own a year ago . My Veterinarian instructed to by Kaytee baby bird food . It is in a powder form . When you mix it leave it set a minute as it gets to thick you will have to probably add more water . He has been on it one year and is doing amazing. Also feeding with a saryinge . It has all the nutrition needed. A cannister lasts a very long time. Good luck !

CcStelma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I also have an older dragon 13 years old . I live in Florida and go to an exotic pet veterinarian . My bearded stopped eating on his own a year ago . My Veterinarian instructed to by Kaytee baby bird food . It is in a powder form . When you mix it leave it set a minute as it gets to thick you will have to probably add more water . He has been on it one year and is doing amazing. Also feeding with a saryinge . It has all the nutrition needed. A cannister lasts a very long time. Good luck !

Great information! Thank you! Does your dragon seem to be visually impaired? I was thinking exposure to unnatural lighting for so long may be a factor

Debh27

Bearded Dragon Egg
Great information! Thank you! Does your dragon seem to be visually impaired? I was thinking exposure to unnatural lighting for so long may be a factor
Yes he does. He likes to eat but his senses are definitely that of an elderly dragon.

Latest posts