• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Sand

Slattern

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
My beardie, Cecile, eats any substrate I attempt to put in her cage. The lady at the pet actually knew what she was talking about when she said that she was bad for munching on sand or dirt. I've tried mixing both together, but she just eats it up! She also isn't liking her greens, which is a common problem it turns out. I use kale and arugula, as it is my only options.
I think I've read it may be from want if calcium? Any help would be appreciated!
As far as a I know she us about 1.5 years old, but no certaintys there.
I currently have towels/.mats in there to abate the problem.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Do you add calcium powder to her food at all? There are tons of veggies you could try along with the greens, that might spark some interest. (Why are you restricted to only kale and arugula for greens?).
As far as substrate, since you already know she'll eat anything loose, see if you can get some non-adhesive shelf liner, or you could do stone/slate tile, or there's nothing wrong with newspaper or paper towels.
You didn't mention your temps or lighting, but you should make sure those are all good as well.

Slattern

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you add calcium powder to her food at all? There are tons of veggies you could try along with the greens, that might spark some interest. (Why are you restricted to only kale and arugula for greens?).
As far as substrate, since you already know she'll eat anything loose, see if you can get some non-adhesive shelf liner, or you could do stone/slate tile, or there's nothing wrong with newspaper or paper towels.
You didn't mention your temps or lighting, but you should make sure those are all good as well.
1-Ill be honest no, I haven't. I have it, but she doesn't eat as well with it on.
2- I live in northern Canada so selection for fresh greens is very low. Spinach is the most popular up here, which is another problem.
Most "pre packaged" bins of greens are 50/50 spinach, plus arugula or kale.
3- I have both kinds of lighting set up, heat fluxes a little at 85-90.

I'll look into some tile as well, although I'd would really prefer a natural environment, though it may not be possible.

Slattern

Bearded Dragon Egg
Didn't have her on sand because I knew she would eat it, and we happen to have both tile and shelf liner, so preventing is easy.
It's the cause I am more concerned about.
I've read it can be from calcium deficiency?
But at the same time she doesn't want powdered things....

Slattern

Bearded Dragon Egg
Haha, I ALSO happen to have liquid calcium.
I'll look on the bottle for instructions