• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Own Skin

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
By the way, I have a question that's a bit off topic, I was reminded about it when you mentioned shedding. After spike sheds, He wanders around the cage for a bit. But if he finds a bit of his skin, he'll chomp it down right away. I think he has a liking for the taste of his skin. I know bearded dragons are sometimes cannibals, But is that healthy?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've heard that in the wild, they may eat their own shed to keep predators away. It won't hurt him any.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha! i think he's worried about you eating him! or maybe spike is worried your dog will get a hold of him.

lunastic

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah thats pretty much normal. Reminds me of that one Austin Powers movie, gross.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't think it is harmful, as sometime they will peck at things to see what exactly it is but since they eat both alive and not they could indeed go right ahead and eat it.

However, having other food in there, I would think your beardie would prefer the real food, so just keep that in mind. I usually clean out the skin pieces as soon as the shedding pieces fall off.