• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubias Twice/day?

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
If we’re feeding our juvenile dragon approximately 15-20 dubias/feeding, is twice/day adequate (plus salad)?

That’s 30-40/day and/or 210-280/week, which is very costly. Got auto re-order on from dubias.com, which has me at ober $50/week ($200/month).

If I increase feedings to 3x/day, or let him eat as many as he wants in 15 minutes, as I’ve seen recommended on various sites, that will likely put me at $300/month.

The obvious answer is to breed my own dubias but I don’t think I want to deal with the extra work…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If we’re feeding our juvenile dragon approximately 15-20 dubias/feeding, is twice/day adequate (plus salad)?

That’s 30-40/day and/or 210-280/week, which is very costly. Got auto re-order on from dubias.com, which has me at ober $50/week ($200/month).

If I increase feedings to 3x/day, or let him eat as many as he wants in 15 minutes, as I’ve seen recommended on various sites, that will likely put me at $300/month.

The obvious answer is to breed my own dubias but I don’t think I want to deal with the extra work…
It would take you a year to get a colony going- where are you getting the dubias from?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I

I’m buying them from dubiaroaches.com
Ok they are the cheapest that I know of - start adding another staple feeder like crickets silk worms or bsfl- are you feeding any worms like super horn or butter worms?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If hes older than 5months you can start feeding super worms, i get 1000 for 30$? I think, my girl will eat 2-5 per day.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
If hes older than 5months you can start feeding super worms, i get 1000 for 30$? I think, my girl will eat 2-5 per day.
Okay, thanks! I forgot about Supers, since they were not recommended at you get stages.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
Ok they are the cheapest that I know of - start adding another staple feeder like crickets silk worms or bsfl- are you feeding any worms like super horn or butter worms?
I’ve fed some BSFL and Phoenix Worms, but they are so small and a pain to dig out from the material they live in, it sometimes feels like more trouble than it’s worth.

haven’t tried butter worms or silk worms…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon

I would switch to crickets until he's a year old. Dubias are great but crickets are $80-$100/month at most.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
I would switch to crickets until he's a year old. Dubias are great but crickets are $80-$100/month at most.
Thank you for your reply. That’s definitely something to consider. I will say, in my experience, crickets are a little nastier than dubias (a little stinky, jumping all over, etc.) but the cost of the dubias has me re-thinking the situation.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for your reply. That’s definitely something to consider. I will say, in my experience, crickets are a little nastier than dubias (a little stinky, jumping all over, etc.) but the cost of the dubias has me re-thinking the situation.
No argument here. There are times when even I'll still buy crickets over Dubias just for cost reasons. I just wish crickets would live longer like Dubias.