• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Roaches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. Is a CRICKET KEEPER a good domain for Dubia Roaches?thanks
Depends on how many your putting in there-- I personally would get a 10 gallon aquarium - that can house about 200 roaches - you need to be able to put egg crates in there and that looks too small

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Depends on how many your putting in there-- I personally would get a 10 gallon aquarium - that can house about 200 roaches - you need to be able to put egg crates in there and that looks too small
Thanks so much. I actually have a ten gallon tank. Just need the egg crates.What’s the life expectancy of Dubias?thanks

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know - they die off but not as fast as crickets
I was just reading where it says females live about 24 months and males about 18 months. In my experience crickets last only about a week or so. I tried breeding crickets but with no success. Thanks for your reply.

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
I bought a big Rubbermaid tub and keep mine in the garage. Dubia can't climb smooth surfaces or fly so they are trapped.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use an extra large cricket keeper and keep about 100 in there. I do use egg cartons (4) and have a plastic container the calcium gel. I use oats with some dubia calcium feed as the substrate. They typically turn to adults and my beardie refuses to eat them before they die. I have donated the adults to a local zoo that uses them for their animals.

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
I just use a big black container they are nocturnal so it helps them feel more comfortable with some ventilation holes and mesh drilled. Either way works 10 gallon tanks aren’t super expensive usually ranging around $10 at Petco when they are on sale.

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
I bought a big Rubbermaid tub at Walmart for like $15 then a block of coconut fiber and used it as substrate, ran it with isopods and springtails for a few weeks. Added my roaches with egg cartons and paper towel tubes. They are thriving and breeding. Mind you I have 2 dragons so do order roaches to help ease the colony and allow it to grow while my dragons reach adult. I feed the roaches chicken feed and vegetable/fruit scraps. Probably have around 200 adult roaches, mostly female probably about a 4:1 ratio and then various nymphs in that tub. I try to take anything getting fed to the dragons out 2+ days ahead and gutload, even before they're pretty healthy.

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
I have a colony also in a 45gal black container I bought from home depot. My colony has 100 females & 20 males 5:1 ratio. If you are starting a colony the secret is patience. It's going to take some time before you're able to feed the BD. I also make my own chow, one third oats, wheat, & rabbit pellets in a blender. Also I have a stick-on heater to the side of my egg crates. It's a no brainier with the cost for roaches. Get some buffalo/black beetles to act as janitors. Roaches sure beat crickets. The best price to buy feeder roaches is betterthancrickets.com - shipping @ $4.50

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just use the same feed I do for my beardie. I add calcium dubia food and calcium cricket cubes.

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
I feed them any food that's going to land in the garbage can plus chow I make.
They eat anything, gut them up couple days before you feed to BD.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To be honest I would get the food from where your getting your roaches from--- you dont want to over calcium your dragon -- like I was feeding carrots to the roaches and then my dragons poop was turning orange around the edges -- turns out I was feeding too many carrots to the roaches -- so I backed off on the carrots and the poop went back to normal -- that is why I always tell people if they are feeding carrots to the roaches DO NOT feed the dragons carrots too --- I get my roaches from www.dubiaroaches.com and the food roach food and the water crystals plus I feed raw sweet potato shredded squash yellow and zucchini fruit once in a while apple / oranges-- and carrots once in a while -- since I feed water crystals I dont haft to worry about hydrating the roaches too much which is what the carrots do

Rich Garbarino

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Use a plastic tub from Walmart. Get egg crates from Zelwin farms online, 70 crates for $30. I originally got my dubia starter colony from dubideli.com. I have thousands now and will never need to buy roaches again. They are very easy to breed and take care of.