• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia colony heating

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
i have a heat mat under my 10 gallon tank I’m using for a dubia colony. I put cardboard on the floor so that the roaches aren’t on the glass. But it’s not getting hot enough in the tank and I already have casualties. Is it the cardboard not letting the heat get through or what is it? I’m using a heat mat that is used to germinate seedlings and it actually works good but it’s just not heating the inside of the tank.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have a heat mat under my 10 gallon tank I’m using for a dubia colony. I put cardboard on the floor so that the roaches aren’t on the glass. But it’s not getting hot enough in the tank and I already have casualties. Is it the cardboard not letting the heat get through or what is it? I’m using a heat mat that is used to germinate seedlings and it actually works good but it’s just not heating the inside of the tank.
I have a 7.5 gal upstairs for weekly feeders and I have a UTH that is stuck to the outside on the side of the glass, and seems to do just fine. I would try taking the cardboard off the bottom, you have egg flats standing on their sides right? if the heat is enough it should rise up thru the glass and "thru" the egg flats.. If not you need more heat.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 7.5 gal upstairs for weekly feeders and I have a UTH that is stuck to the outside on the side of the glass, and seems to do just fine. I would try taking the cardboard off the bottom, you have egg flats standing on their sides right? if the heat is enough it should rise up thru the glass and "thru" the egg flats.. If not you need more heat.
Yeah the egg flats are standing upright. So is it ok for the roaches to be directly on the glass?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah the egg flats are standing upright. So is it ok for the roaches to be directly on the glass?
They will crawl up into the egg flats so its ok. You will know if they are cold if they are closest to the heat source. If they are nicely spread out then they are happy, but if they are all crammed near the heat it needs to be hotter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
They will crawl up into the egg flats so its ok. You will know if they are cold if they are closest to the heat source. If they are nicely spread out then they are happy, but if they are all crammed near the heat it needs to be hotter.

Yeah that makes sense. They were all crammed together literally on the floor. If the glass gets too hot what do I do about food? I have all the food on one side on the floor, will they be able to get to it?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah that makes sense. They were all crammed together literally on the floor. If the glass gets too hot what do I do about food? I have all the food on one side on the floor, will they be able to get to it?
Put the food furthest from the heat so it doesnt rot fast or dry up to quickly

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Because my heat mat covers the whole bottom of the tank
That I don't know because I've not had this situation. I know Dubia can tolerate high temps but I don't know what is too hot.. You could cut a piece of cardboard to put down under food and over enough to reach egg flats. The thing you would then need to be aware of would be is the little spaces between the cardboard the nymphs could fit in..

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
That I don't know because I've not had this situation. I know Dubia can tolerate high temps but I don't know what is too hot.. You could cut a piece of cardboard to put down under food and over enough to reach egg flats. The thing you would then need to be aware of would be is the little spaces between the cardboard the nymphs could fit in..
I’ve decided to just move my colony to a Rubbermaid bin haha. I think I’m overthinking this way too hard and everyone’s using bins so that’s what I’ll do. It just seems way easier. I don’t have to worry so much about what to do with the flooring.

DeJays Exotics

Bearded Dragon Egg
bins arent that easy. well at least for me. i have a 50-60 gal zoo med heating pad and im barely getting to 68-75°. might have to get another 1 possibly 2 since winter is coming. (Game Of Thrones lmao)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have my 5 bins of Dubia in a room in my basement so I have red heat lamps on keeping my temps up 75F+