• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon shakes his head when swallowing food

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,
I have 2 yo dragon. Very active, like to eat, like to bask a lot. Brumates every winter, poops good as well.
But when he eats, his head shakes in very weird way.
He does that ONLY when he swallows a food.

I give him food 3 times a week: greens, Repashy and dubia roaches. 1x Cal, 1x Cal+D3, 1x Vitamins.
UVB lamp is always under control, I replace it every 8 months (Arcadia 12%).
What that might be? I'm a little bit scared if that thing will progress.

Attaching reddit thread video.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
I have 2 yo dragon. Very active, like to eat, like to bask a lot. Brumates every winter, poops good as well.
But when he eats, his head shakes in very weird way.
He does that ONLY when he swallows a food.

I give him food 3 times a week: greens, Repashy and dubia roaches. 1x Cal, 1x Cal+D3, 1x Vitamins.
UVB lamp is always under control, I replace it every 8 months (Arcadia 12%).
What that might be? I'm a little bit scared if that thing will progress.

Attaching reddit thread video.

The video was blocked -- its possible hes choking or has something caught in his throat --- how big are the roaches your feeding ?

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
The video was blocked -- its possible hes choking or has something caught in his throat --- how big are the roaches your feeding ?

Should not be that case - he's doing that since the last year. He was brumating for 4 months and I hoped that this thing will go away, but it's not yet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Should not be that case - he's doing that since the last year. He was brumating for 4 months and I hoped that this thing will go away, but it's not yet

I can see the video but it wont play - something to do w/ the format - I would try and get it on youtube then post the link -- what are you surface basking temps? How are you taking them? No stick ons please - they are inaccurate and you want a digital probe thermometer - UVB is a great one - where is it placed your screen will determine placement and distance

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
He seems to be fine -- I dont really see anything concerning-
Thanks for having your time on that. Just wanted to confirm, 00:18, can you see that dragon "shakes" it's head during swallowing? I hope video shows that properly

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for having your time on that. Just wanted to confirm, 00:18, can you see that dragon "shakes" it's head during swallowing? I hope video shows that properly
Does he does this all the time? I will have some one else take a look

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Oblu

Only when swallows food, especially when his head is turned 45-90 degress to his body. I mean when he turns head to me, but body remains in same position
Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oblu

Only when swallows food, especially when his head is turned 45-90 degress to his body. I mean when he turns head to me, but body remains in same position
Thank you!
Ok gonna have some on take a look at it -- I will get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok gonna have some on take a look at it -- I will get back w/ you
Ok so they got back w/ me and this is what they have said
It could just be an odd habit or might be a slight neurological issue. Can't say for sure.
So w/ that being said where is your UVB? top of screen or inside the tank - this is very important w/ them saying slight neurological issue makes me want to find out more about your UVB placement -- this is critical for what she has said --

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so they got back w/ me and this is what they have said
It could just be an odd habit or might be a slight neurological issue. Can't say for sure.
So w/ that being said where is your UVB? top of screen or inside the tank - this is very important w/ them saying slight neurological issue makes me want to find out more about your UVB placement -- this is critical for what she has said --
UVB is placed inside. Arcadia 12%, I get a replacement every 8 months. Enclosure is 45x45x90cm

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB is placed inside. Arcadia 12%, I get a replacement every 8 months. Enclosure is 45x45x90cm
Ok make sure you have a piece of basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches --- w/ that being said it could be just a habit as mentioned -- you have a good UVB and if placement is correct I dont see the neurological issue being a problem

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Ok make sure you have a piece of basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches --- w/ that being said it could be just a habit as mentioned -- you have a good UVB and if placement is correct I dont see the neurological issue being a problem
Sure! He has a good basking spot, few places to hide and proper shade in the opposite corner.
Thank you!

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Is your dragon still shaking his head?
Hello again,
Yes, he's still doing that when he swallows food with head turned 45-90 degress to any side. When his head is looking straight - everything is fine. Also I noticed that "second" and all next swallowing are also good, with no shaking

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello again,
Yes, he's still doing that when he swallows food with head turned 45-90 degress to any side. When his head is looking straight - everything is fine. Also I noticed that "second" and all next swallowing are also good, with no shaking
I am going to see if Tracie has any ideas as to why he's doing this
@Drache613

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

To confirm, you are giving calcium 3 times weekly, & is it powder or liquid?
It is possible he has a slight calcium issue, which essentially is neurological problems. How long has
he been doing this, quite awhile?
The Arcadia D3 12%, is the T8 tube bulb? That is great it is mounted inside of his tank. Is it directly
overhead or mounted on the back wall?

Tracie

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hey again,
Cal, Cal+D3 + Vitamins. In total 3 times a week, powder ZooMed.
He has been doing that since last mid summer. He did brumate for 4 months and after waking up it still the same.
I use T5 Arcadia Pro set and replace lamps each 8 months.
It's mounted on "ceiling" of his enclosure, so there's no metal mesh or any other obstacles
Hello,

To confirm, you are giving calcium 3 times weekly, & is it powder or liquid?
It is possible he has a slight calcium issue, which essentially is neurological problems. How long has
he been doing this, quite awhile?
The Arcadia D3 12%, is the T8 tube bulb? That is great it is mounted inside of his tank. Is it directly
overhead or mounted on the back wall?

Tracie

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your UVB is a T 5? If so the distance needs to be 12- 15 inches directly above him -- NO back wall if so -- for a T 8 distance would need to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor