• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dragon fruit

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Well, technically it's a type of cactus (and prickly pear are really good for them), but the thing that would make me nervous is the fact it has those little seeds in it. I think the closest comparison to dragon fruit is the kiwi, which should be rarely fed to a dragon, IF AT ALL.

I'd recommend waiting for one of the resident experts to come around before offering it up to your little dinosaur. Better safe than sorry. Your little guy (or gal) looks too cute to take a chance. :cool:

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
From: http://www.medicalhealthguide.com/articles/dragonfruit-healthbenefits.htm#b
The typical nutritional values per 100 g of raw pitaya (of which 55 g are edible) are as follows:
  • Water 80-90 g
  • Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 4–25 mg
  • Ash 0.4-0.7 g
  • Calcium 6–10 mg
  • Calories: 35-50
  • Carbohydrates 9-14 g
  • Carotene (Vitamin A) traces
  • Fat 0.1-0.6 g
  • Fiber 0.3-0.9 g
  • Iron 0.3-0.7 mg Niacin (Vitamin B3) 0.2-0.45 mg
  • Phosphorus 16 – 36 mg
  • Protein 0.15-0.5 g
  • Thiamine (Vitamin B1) traces
  • Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) traces
The article states that it's high in fiber... I don't know what these measurements mean, I just threw it up there so that someone who knows how to speak health stuff can say weather or not there's too much phosphorus and fiber in there. I definitely would worry about the little black seed looking things though. I don't think those would do too well in the digestive system.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Based on that info, the calcium to phosphorus ratio would be enough for me to stay away from it. Even if you won a lifetime supply of dragon fruit, I'd keep it for yourself and not your dragon (despite the name). :D