• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon extra active in winter?

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
My boy Hannibal seemed lethargic during the late summer.... it felt pretty humid for local standards, though nothing compared to the Midwest or South.. humidity in his tank was upward of 48 %, which is high, but can't be higher than, say, Georgia or Florida. Needless to say, he had been given antibiotics for coccidia & an unusually high pinworm count(we stopped feeding him crickets & he eats mealies & silkworms). He was cleared of this by the vet at the beginning of summer, yet it seemed his appetite only half recovered until the cold weather came...this guy wanted out of the sliding glass door and onto the balcony where it was 40 degrees and raining. What a little weirdo! I have video of this... but fearing respiratory infection, & lizard hypothermia(?), i did not let him stay long at all. Either way, his appetite is monstrous lately, considering he would barely poop every 1.5 was until mid-fall

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My boy Hannibal seemed lethargic during the late summer.... it felt pretty humid for local standards, though nothing compared to the Midwest or South.. humidity in his tank was upward of 48 %, which is high, but can't be higher than, say, Georgia or Florida. Needless to say, he had been given antibiotics for coccidia & an unusually high pinworm count(we stopped feeding him crickets & he eats mealies & silkworms). He was cleared of this by the vet at the beginning of summer, yet it seemed his appetite only half recovered until the cold weather came...this guy wanted out of the sliding glass door and onto the balcony where it was 40 degrees and raining. What a little weirdo! I have video of this... but fearing respiratory infection, & lizard hypothermia(?), i did not let him stay long at all. Either way, his appetite is monstrous lately, considering he would barely poop every 1.5 was until mid-fall
Good you did not let him stay out - 65 tops and in the sun- his eating is off - most dragons slow down in the winter months on appetite and eat tons in the summer- the meds would of effected his appetite tho so that would account for it being off - now it sounds like hes trying to catch up- silkworms are a good staple along w/ dubia roaches-- your humidity at 48% is optimal -- I wouldnt worry about him --- let him eat --

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good you did not let him stay out - 65 tops and in the sun- his eating is off - most dragons slow down in the winter months on appetite and eat tons in the summer- the meds would of effected his appetite tho so that would account for it being off - now it sounds like hes trying to catch up- silkworms are a good staple along w/ dubia roaches-- your humidity at 48% is optimal -- I wouldnt worry about him --- let him eat --
Could it be that simple? I mean, this is all i was hoping the issue was about. We thought he was gonna brumate... spent two days in his hide in mid October... and then out he came, happy as a clam! Still wants 50% protein as an adult, but he loves his greens.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could it be that simple? I mean, this is all i was hoping the issue was about. We thought he was gonna brumate... spent two days in his hide in mid October... and then out he came, happy as a clam! Still wants 50% protein as an adult, but he loves his greens.
Yep- just keep an eye on him - feed him as usual - eating basking and pooping are all good sign of a healthy dragon

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep- just keep an eye on him - feed him as usual - eating basking and pooping are all good sign of a healthy dragon
Just because you popped in to check on my post, I figured I'd update you on our little odyssey.

Poor Hannibal, as it turns out, was suffering a little neglect on my part. Or maybe that's not the right way to put it, as it was not at all for lack of effort on my part. Rather, I had a patchwork of vital information and some of it was quite wrong. He bagan to go down pretty hard. He stopped being active and shortly after, stopped opening his eyes. He went out on that cold day because he doesn't know what's good for him. After a herp vet visit, I was in the know: he was suffering accumulative effects of low night temps, unstable day temps, wrong bulb types & placement, and even slight dehydration. I began bathing him, desperately hoping he would poop, yet again. Eyes closed, barely able to hold his head up, he was licking at the air as I had a wet Qtip going over a tough shed when I decided I'd put a drop of water on his tongue. To shorten the story, he just learned how to drink water. He began drinking from the tub. He pooped immediately after. He did it again today! After immediately adjusting his fixtures & giving him water regularly, he is FLYING AROUND THE APARTMENT NOW!
This little guy has been transformed! What a miracle. My little guy is back :)