• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon Depression? Health Concern?

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon and I came back to college about 1.5 months ago. He was previously back home with my family in a different tank and the same decorations (primarily my sister) for a little over a month between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, and then remained there with the addition of myself until we returned from the long holiday break. Before taking him home he was also so active in his tank, ate regularly, and pooped everyday. When I took him home he had a adjustment phase, but then began his normal routine of running about in his tank, eating frequently, and pooping daily. However, since I've brought him back to school, he has not been himself. I thought it was just the stress of moving at first, but I am beginning to worry. He spends most of his time on the cool side of the tank either lying flat on the substrate or on top of his cave. He has only pooped on his own three times since we have returned, and every other time I've had to give him a bath. I firmly believe this is due to him not being active like he was. He eats, but sometimes I have to feed him his greens first before he goes to his food bowl. However, if he poops he eats a ton. He still goes crazy for crickets, that has not changed at all. He barely basks under the UVB light or the heat. If I'm home later in the morning he tends to be more active. Also, if I take him out of the tank to hang out with me because he loves being with people, he is a completely different dragon. He runs about like he's having the time of his life. Sometimes he will run over to his tank and try to climb up things next to it, but anytime I try to put him back in there he clings to me with all his might as if he is refusing go back in there. The tank set up and temperatures have not changed during any of these moves. However, just because I know these are typical questions the basics of his habitat and his routine are as follows:
-tank size: 55 gallons
-day time temps: roughly between 85-100 (cool side - hot side)
-night time temps: roughly between 68-81
-UVB: Reptisun 10.0 Tube (replaced bulb 1.5 weeks ago)
-Diet: mustard greens, collard greens, crickets, roaches, and occasionally as his snack bearded dragon food pellets (he loves them)
-Supplements: calcium roughly 4-5x a week, vitamin spray 1x weekly
-bath: currently twice a week due to no pooping, but originally every 1-2 weeks
-substrate: substrate liner
-basking side decorations: stones, hammock
-cool side decorations: cave, sticks/logs (not real wood) set up for him to climb, fake leaves
-middle of tank: food bowl
-hydration: from diet, water in dish given only for a short period of time to avoid high levels of humidity (but as long as he is thirsty, yes he does drink out of it), used to drink during bath time (doesn't do that anymore)
-humidity: very minimal
-stress marks: less frequent, but still present (never there when I am interacting with him, typically only notice them when I come home from being at class for the day)
-black beard: not very frequent, occasionally I'll notice one if he has been by himself for most of the day
-lighting: on timers, same every day

So after listing everything about him, I just want to know if I should be concerned? Do bearded dragons suffer from depression? Is there anything I can fix to help him?

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow... poor guy, sounds like he hasn't adjusted to the move. I have no idea though what you could do... If it's been a long time since he's had a wellness checkup I'd probably start there, and if he checks out all healthy ask the vet for advice.