• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does this look normal?

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, so I had my fancy dragon Mango for around 6 years and never seen her lips this color. She did have some white gupe in her good eye (the other eye is crusted shut and has been since we got her), I gave her a bath and cleaned her good eye but I noticed during her bath she has a white line across the center of her lips and it's red in the middle. I have never noticed this before, and just wanted to ask everyone here if this looks like something abnormal?
PXL_20220511_163857621.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone, so I had my fancy dragon Mango for around 6 years and never seen her lips this color. She did have some white gupe in her good eye (the other eye is crusted shut and has been since we got her), I gave her a bath and cleaned her good eye but I noticed during her bath she has a white line across the center of her lips and it's red in the middle. I have never noticed this before, and just wanted to ask everyone here if this looks like something abnormal?
View attachment 32103
Crusted eye is not healthy- what are you using for a uvb coil or tube? What brand of basking bulb-- is it a clear solid bright white bulb? Any colored bulbs in the tank?

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Crusted eye is not healthy- what are you using for a uvb coil or tube? What brand of basking bulb-- is it a clear solid bright white bulb? Any colored bulbs in the tank?
Not worried about her crusty eye it's been checked by a vet once a year after she lost it. I'm more concerned about her lips looking the way they do. She has 2 basking bulbs normally clear and 2 uvb bulbs (normally zoomed they are easy to find) the only colored bulbs are the 2 night bulbs.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not worried about her crusty eye it's been checked by a vet once a year after she lost it. I'm more concerned about her lips looking the way they do. She has 2 basking bulbs normally clear and 2 uvb bulbs (normally zoomed they are easy to find) the only colored bulbs are the 2 night bulbs.
Please get rid of the colored bulbs- long term use leads to blindness and disrupts the sleep- dragons have a third eye on top of their heads for predators- are the uvb's coils? You only need one good clear solid bright basking bulb and one good long tube uvb- coils and colored bulbs cause eye issues and are inadequate for uvb along w/ other health issues- hence your dragons lips - I need some one else to look at the mouth- can you post a pic of the inside of the mouth please - possible mouth rot but we need to see the inside of it --
@ ahbd
@ cooperdragon
@ drache613

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the colored bulbs- long term use leads to blindness and disrupts the sleep- dragons have a third eye on top of their heads for predators- are the uvb's coils? You only need one good clear solid bright basking bulb and one good long tube uvb- coils and colored bulbs cause eye issues and are inadequate for uvb along w/ other health issues- hence your dragons lips - I need some one else to look at the mouth- can you post a pic of the inside of the mouth please - possible mouth rot but we need to see the inside of it --
@ ahbd
@ cooperdragon
@ drache613
For the night bulbs I know the red bulbs are bad so I never used those but are the black ones not okay to use? I haven't seen any night heating bulbs that aren't black, just want to make sure I get better night bulbs to use if black bulbs aren't okay to use.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the night bulbs I know the red bulbs are bad so I never used those but are the black ones not okay to use? I haven't seen any night heating bulbs that aren't black, just want to make sure I get better night bulbs to use if black bulbs aren't okay to use.
Please get a inside pic of the dragons mouth I am going to have some others look at it-- if you need night time heat is the bulb your using a solid coil and gives off heat only or is it a actual colored black bulb?

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a inside pic of the dragons mouth I am going to have some others look at it-- if you need night time heat is the bulb your using a solid coil and gives off heat only or is it a actual colored black bulb?
I'll have to send a picture later when my husband can open her mouth. The actual bulb is black, she does need night time heat to keep the tank at a normal temp (it's a 60 gallon breeder tank)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll have to send a picture later when my husband can open her mouth. The actual bulb is black, she does need night time heat to keep the tank at a normal temp (it's a 60 gallon breeder tank)
Dragons like cool and dark temps at night should be 65-75 unless your dragon is sick then 80 so they can keep their immune system up-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons like cool and dark temps at night should be 65-75 unless your dragon is sick then 80 so they can keep their immune system up-
The closed eyes and darker beard indicate a bit of distress. Looks like the eyes might be slightly crusty or just has a bit of shed near it. Fat pads look OK from this angle which is good. The front of the mouth looks like there is some swollen gum tissue which could indicate an infection of some sort. That should probably be addressed by a vet.

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
The closed eyes and darker beard indicate a bit of distress. Looks like the eyes might be slightly crusty or just has a bit of shed near it. Fat pads look OK from this angle which is good. The front of the mouth looks like there is some swollen gum tissue which could indicate an infection of some sort. That should probably be addressed by a vet.
PXL_20220511_223646642.jpg

This is the best I could get of her mouth. Thanks for your feedback I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting, last time the vet more or less told me I was over reacting.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 32115
This is the best I could get of her mouth. Thanks for your feedback I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting, last time the vet more or less told me I was over reacting.
I would have the vet look at the upper mouth- please get your lighting in order- this is key to a healthy dragon-- good surface basking temps--taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- and a good long tube uvb and No colored bulbs of any sort- a ceramic heat emitter produces no light - for temps at night 65-75

Jessibbyy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would have the vet look at the upper mouth- please get your lighting in order- this is key to a healthy dragon-- good surface basking temps--taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- and a good long tube uvb and No colored bulbs of any sort- a ceramic heat emitter produces no light - for temps at night 65-75

She has an appointment tomorrow morning just to make sure she's okay. Bulbs are set up how they need to be, I switched the night bulb to the other ceramic heat bulb for the night.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has an appointment tomorrow morning just to make sure she's okay. Bulbs are set up how they need to be, I switched the night bulb to the other ceramic heat bulb for the night.
Make sure she's not over heating at night - they like cool and dark - 65-75 at night