1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!
  1. TylerBlue27

TylerBlue27 Bearded Dragon Egg

I'm pet-sitting for my mom's friend. I want to take her dragon out, but I'm afraid he may be upset, as he looks a little dark. Thoughts? Also, don't worry, this is not his tank. It is the tank I'm in the process of setting up for my future beardie. He is just in here for today.

Attached Files:

2. JumpinJellyfish

JumpinJellyfish Juvenile Dragon

He's probably just wondering where the heck his human is. If he's not full-on black bearding and you're comfortable handling him, he'd probably appreciate the attention, provided: 1. You have the owner's permission (assuming yes since he's in your care), 2. You're careful to keep him from jumping/falling, and 3. He's used to being handled/snuggled. :0)
  3. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

I really cant see his beard -- and if he is in a tank that he is not normally in then yes he is probably up set known as relocation stress--- dont be surprised if he quits eating or very little - what kind of lighting is in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb ? coil or tube? And when he goes back to his normal tank you need to disinfect the tank w/ a good sanitizer as you dont know what this one has and can pass off diseases to the next dragon if he has any--- I am just passing this on to you not knowing the dragon etc...............
    kaylyn
  4. TylerBlue27

Thank you! I took him out. He was running back and forth in the tank and staring at his own reflection. Our porch is screened in and therefore an excellent beardie spot. We're chilling now, I hope. Haha.

Attached Files:

Julie Moore likes this.
  5. kaylynangel

Cute pic!! You can use newspaper wall paper or wrapping paper to put on the outside of the tank to relieve the stress of him seeing himself
    kaylyn
  6. TylerBlue27

The tank has a Reptisun bulb in it as well as a 75 watt heating bulb.
    Good to know about the disinfection. I will be sure to do that.
  7. kaylynangel

Is the Reptisun a tube or coil?
    kaylyn
  8. TylerBlue27

It is a coil.
  9. kaylynangel

I was afraid of that --- here is some info on the UVB's
    Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- if he is not having health issues now it will start to show here soon--- basically hes getting no UVB and what he is its harmful --- I would replace that UVB as soon as possible --- if you are going to be getting a bearded dragon here soon I would recommend you visit this website www.beardeddragon.org --- it was a ton of info on it for new beardie owners--- please pass this info on to your friend who has the dragon - here is a website for nutrition
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    Please NO colored bulbs as well they are harmful to dragons eyes and can cause long term eye damage--- if you have any questions about anything please ask
    kaylyn
  10. TylerBlue27

Thank you. Question: what does a good feeding schedule look like for a baby/juvenile beardie?
  11. kaylynangel

Babies should eat as many crickets / dubia roaches in 10-15 minutes --- they should be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week - I recommend dubia roaches here is some info on dubias
    Dubias
    · Wide range of sizes
    · Long life span
    · Excellent nutrition
    · Easy to digest
    · High in protein
    Convenient for you
    · Odorless and soundless
    · Will not infest your home
    · Can be stored out of sight
    · Easy to care for
    · Cannot jump, fly or climb
    they can be kept in a tote or 10 gallon aquarium and fed carrots squash apples strawberries and of course dubia food ---
    Their main diet till a year old is bugs -- so you would be giving 80% bugs and 20% vegies --- bugs should not be bigger than size between the dragons eyes --- also crickets tend to give parasites/ pin worms --- sometimes dragons will not eat the roaches and vice versa -- it depends on the dragon- mine did not like crickets and went for the dubias--
    Tank size------ I would start out in a 40 gallon tank --- he will eventually out grow that tank -- you will want to get him into a bigger tank by the time he is 1 year old maybe a little older --- I would go as big as your budget will allow-- and try and find one w/ front doors ----
    Substrate NO SAND or walnut chips or coconut---- the walnut and coconut is toxic to the dragons and sand causes impaction----------------- I would look at getting textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot Lowes etc......................... it easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cannot get underneath-------------
    Basking light --- you want a good bright white basking bulb --- it will be trial and error w/ temps w/ the tank --- so w/ that being said you would want to get a Infrared Heat gun from Walmart Lowes Home Depot --- they are around $10 --- basking temps for a baby should be 105-110--- the IR gun is the most accurate way to get them -- also you want a digital probe therm for the cool side of the tank --- temps should be 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite ---
    Decor -- you want things for him to climb on --- basking logs / a hide for him to sleep in ---- Petsmart has really nice decor but it is spendy------------------
    So the correct husbandry is going to prevent illnesses like MVB and keep the dragon healthy-- the lighting in the tank is crucial --------------------- do not listen to the pet store people most do not know what they are talking about as most have never owned a dragon------------------ please ck out the website I gave you it has lots of info on there and stuff you can learn ---- I realize I just gave you a ton of info please share w/ your friend ---- ask if have anymore questions
    kaylyn
    Julie Moore likes this.
  12. Julie Moore

Julie Moore Bearded Dragon Egg

Ours feels comfortable with her back legs fully supported also Asura head bangs the glass front when she needs to go to the toilet we then put puppy training mats down on the living room floor ..... doesn't always work but it's fun going around after her. Have fun x
  13. PatricktheBeardedDragon

PatricktheBeardedDragon Bearded Dragon Egg

He looks exactly likey beardie and my beardie is perfectly fine and happy. If anything he is just nervous around the new surroundings. Also, is he a citrus leatherback?
  14. TylerBlue27

I'm not sure what he is. Good to know.