• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does baytril help with gout?

AlexKinn

Hatchling Dragon
I got a blood test for my beardie and it came back with high calcium and Uric acid! He also has a bacterial infection and was prescribed baytril. He can move way less than he used to and 2 of his fingers are swollen. His back left joint is swollen and that’s what mainly effect him walking. I sent in a initial abscess that I had removed for culture. They could not grow any bacterial. They tried to grow fungal after that. Nothing shows up this is 2 weeks later so my beardie was never on the right medicine. After this I get the blood test and a week later I finally find something. I am just making sure he is on the right meds this time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got a blood test for my beardie and it came back with high calcium and Uric acid! He also has a bacterial infection and was prescribed baytril. He can move way less than he used to and 2 of his fingers are swollen. His back left joint is swollen and that’s what mainly effect him walking. I sent in a initial abscess that I had removed for culture. They could not grow any bacterial. They tried to grow fungal after that. Nothing shows up this is 2 weeks later so my beardie was never on the right medicine. After this I get the blood test and a week later I finally find something. I am just making sure he is on the right meds this time.
Baytril may help w/ the bacterial infection however I am not sure but I can ask someone who will know - what dosage was he given for that? And no it will not help w/ gout-- he needs to be put on Allopurinol gout is very painful -- please go over your UVB your using this is very important for him and the health issues hes having --- please no coils they are no good and inadequate --do you have copies of the blood work done if so please post them and if not please have them emailed to you

AlexKinn

Hatchling Dragon
Baytril may help w/ the bacterial infection however I am not sure but I can ask someone who will know - what dosage was he given for that? And no it will not help w/ gout-- he needs to be put on Allopurinol gout is very painful -- please go over your UVB your using this is very important for him and the health issues hes having --- please no coils they are no good and inadequate --do you have copies of the blood work done if so please post them and if not please have them emailed to you
I have a Arcadia 24in 12%. Can he take baytril and allopurinol?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a Arcadia 24in 12%. Can he take baytril and allopurinol?
I would think so --- I have gout and take allopurinol and other meds doesnt bother me - I have sent a email to the vet tech I am hoping she answers me tonite

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the response from the vet tech -- if you want her email let me know I will send it to you

What type of bacterial infection does he have or did they determine
he had? Baytril treats a lot of various types of infections. Did the
swelling start before or after the Baytril use?
Vets usually prescribe it but if her vet wont prescribe it, I do sell the
Gout Ease which includes the allopurinol.
If they need to contact me, they can email me directly.

AlexKinn

Hatchling Dragon
Here is the response from the vet tech -- if you want her email let me know I will send it to you

What type of bacterial infection does he have or did they determine
he had? Baytril treats a lot of various types of infections. Did the
swelling start before or after the Baytril use?
Vets usually prescribe it but if her vet wont prescribe it, I do sell the
Gout Ease which includes the allopurinol.
If they need to contact me, they can email me directly.
The bacterial infection he has is beta staphylococcus. The swelling has a been a apparent thing for a while while they tried to grow bacteria. The baytril was just prescribed after the blood test came back. The vet has said nothing about prescribing allopurinol and said the infection could be why her leg is swollen. I don’t think this is the case I think she has gout and beta staphylococcus. I asked for a blood test copy and I am waiting on it now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bacterial infection he has is beta staphylococcus. The swelling has a been a apparent thing for a while while they tried to grow bacteria. The baytril was just prescribed after the blood test came back. The vet has said nothing about prescribing allopurinol and said the infection could be why her leg is swollen. I don’t think this is the case I think she has gout and beta staphylococcus. I asked for a blood test copy and I am waiting on it now.
I have passed your message on

AlexKinn

Hatchling Dragon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has a yellow spot from the baytril! How does this happen
The vet tech got back w/ me here is what she said

Well, she should start black or tart cherry juice extract to help out the kidneys.
If the swelling is getting worse, I would stop the Baytril for now, as it is very hard
on the kidneys. Anytime gout is present, there will almost always be some type
of inflammation or irritation simply from the cellular issues & uric acid in the area.

You can get the tart cherry juice from Walmart etc -- I am going to ask about the yellow spot and the allopurinol-you can contact her directly if you like I can give you her email --- your UVB do you have it on the screen or inside your tank --- this is crucial for the dragon and the issues going on

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet tech got back w/ me here is what she said

Well, she should start black or tart cherry juice extract to help out the kidneys.
If the swelling is getting worse, I would stop the Baytril for now, as it is very hard
on the kidneys. Anytime gout is present, there will almost always be some type
of inflammation or irritation simply from the cellular issues & uric acid in the area.

You can get the tart cherry juice from Walmart etc -- I am going to ask about the yellow spot and the allopurinol-you can contact her directly if you like I can give you her email --- your UVB do you have it on the screen or inside your tank --- this is crucial for the dragon and the issues going on
Here is the response I got about the allopurinol
She can definitely try getting her dragon on Allopurinol for awhile.
Especially if the uric acid levels are pretty high, they need to come
down.
So I am going to ask what insect are you feeding her? If your feeding dubia roaches I recommend you feed another insect like BSFL or silk worms -- dubias are not a good feeder for dragons w/ gout -- I can give you websites for silk worms and the BSFL -- those you would need to feed a lot of because they are small --
did you get the blood work back ?

AlexKinn

Hatchling Dragon
Here is the response I got about the allopurinol
She can definitely try getting her dragon on Allopurinol for awhile.
Especially if the uric acid levels are pretty high, they need to come
down.
So I am going to ask what insect are you feeding her? If your feeding dubia roaches I recommend you feed another insect like BSFL or silk worms -- dubias are not a good feeder for dragons w/ gout -- I can give you websites for silk worms and the BSFL -- those you would need to feed a lot of because they are small --
did you get the blood work back ?
I am feeding her crickets right now should I change? I got the blood work back with a copy. She has gout and beta staphylococcus unfortunately. She is getting put on allopurinol for the gout. I will let you know on what she is getting prescribed for the staph I need to pick it up from the pharmacy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am feeding her crickets right now should I change? I got the blood work back with a copy. She has gout and beta staphylococcus unfortunately. She is getting put on allopurinol for the gout. I will let you know on what she is getting prescribed for the staph I need to pick it up from the pharmacy.
Ok I think your ok w/ the crickets but I am going to ask --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I just noticed that one of her scales on her beard is black she is shedding her face but do you know what it could be?
post a pic of it -- could be just shed but lets look