• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you need extra heat for a 40 gallon?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
my bearded dragons growing fast and I’m gonna need a 40 gallon soon. Aside from the basking lamp on one side, am I going to need to add extra heat to the other side since it’s so big? Would the temp be too cold on the other side or would it be fine just with one lamp on one side of the tank?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey, it depends on how cold your house is, but one bulb should be enough or maybe a slightly higher wattage bulb. If its too cold at night, get a CHE to keep it around 65F. I would measure your temps when you get the new tank and take it from there

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 150 bulb and then a 75 bulb in my 40 gallon. she mostly stays on the 75 side but she does occassionally go to the 150 but in the summer i turn off her 150 because it just gets too hot

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 150 bulb and then a 75 bulb in my 40 gallon. she mostly stays on the 75 side but she does occassionally go to the 150 but in the summer i turn off her 150 because it just gets too hot
150 seems too hot for a 40 gal..Have you checked the temp in the basking area?? It may be too hot and that's why she is on the 75 temp side more.. I have 3 40g breeders and the most I use is a 60 watt for the basking area...It also depends on your household temp..I have RA so I keep our house temp at 74 so my tanks stay a bit warmer so I don't need a higher wattage basking bulb..in the winter they may need a higher one so it depends..

Last edited:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What are you using to check your temps? 150 is a lot for a 40 gallon. The highest I've used is a 100 watt on mine. I have a 40ga equivalent. I only have one basking light, the cool side of the tank does not need any additional heat source.

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
150 seems too hot for a 40 gal..Have you checked the temp in the basking area?? It may be too hot and that's why she is on the 75 temp side more.. I have 3 40g breeders and the most I use is a 60 watt for the basking area...It also depends on your household temp..I have RA so I keep our house temp at 74 so my tanks stay a bit warmer so I don't need a higher wattage basking bulb..in the winter they may need a higher one so it

Well i turn it off in the summer but in the winter our house is bitter cold so i turn it on and she still for the most part stays on the 75 side

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my bearded dragons growing fast and I’m gonna need a 40 gallon soon. Aside from the basking lamp on one side, am I going to need to add extra heat to the other side since it’s so big? Would the temp be too cold on the other side or would it be fine just with one lamp on one side of the tank?
You need the basking (heat) lamp I use a 60 watt and a strip style UVB like the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 You want a hot side a warm middle and the other side is your cool side..