• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you gutload your beardie's crickets?

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We do. ;D

There is a certain food that you put in your cricket cage that they eat. It is cube shaped, It's green, juicy, and smells somewhat like a melon. You can feed it to all prey insects; including mealworms; To give them nutrients that they pass on to the bearded dragon. I also like to put calcium powder on some of the gutloaded ones, It makes them all white. It catches spike's eye more then regular crickets, and he loves them. Anyway, Do you gutload them or just add powder?

dudleythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Gut load mine with some brown food mix thingy that me vet reccommened :)
Also use that lovely nutriet white powder

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
gosh, i don't raise my own crickets. i buy them from a local store. and i sprinkle them with calcium every couple of days.

how hard is it to raise your own crickets? where do you keep them? do they have an odor? are they noisy? so, many questions, but if it is easy, i'm game....even though gertrude rebels crickets every now and then.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so many questions to be answered... xD

It's not hard, every week I replace their food.

I keep them in a insect tank, They take shelter in a piece of egg carton.

They don't smell, But they DO poop.

Yes, The bigger ones are noisy. The current ones we have are the smaller ones, so they don't chirp often.

It just sucks, because they escape a lot. And my sister has an insectophobia, so she screams when she sees one. "OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S A CRICKET, ADRIA PICK IT UP RIGHT NOW! AAADRIIIAAAAAAA!!!"

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hmm...i think the noise would get to me. maybe they could stay in the garage?

so, silly question, do you have to clean up their poo?

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Eh, we're too lazy to clean it up. xDD
Crickets eat snail slime and throw up, they can probally eat their own poop. But we clean out the cage every 5 weeks to a month. (depends on whether we get new crickets or not)

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Heh, Thanks. ^^

I might add a bit of comedy to advice I post, Because like my mom says...

"Dork status!"

:3

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gotta have laughter in life....if not, what else is there?