• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do Beardies hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Have read several articles stating that beardies hibernate and that you should lower temps and stop feeding them for a couple of months to assist in this process. Also have a friend who has two beardies who bury themselves completely in the sand during the cooler months before re-appearing with very little colour (almost white) and substantial weight loss once it warms up. He is a bit of a novice like me also. Would greatly appreciate info from anyone who has experienced this or knows anything about it ???

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey BJ,

The process is called Brumation.

Its not necessary for the beardies to brumate. I don't encourage it with my beardies. If they want to brumate, they can, but they don't have to.

In a proper enclosure, beardies will burrow in to a moist soil and back fill the entrance shut. In theory they do this for two reasons. 1. To help stabilize temps and humidity 2. To protect themselves from predators like snakes.

BJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info Virus, will just keep temps and light at normal and see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.