• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DO BEADIES MAKE NOISES and/or COMMUNICATE?

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My 17 month old makes very faint puffing noises when I take him out of his viv. I usually scoop him up gently and slowly put him on my shoulder or under my chin for a quick sec while I'm closing back up his tank. In this position, he's close to my ear and I can hear him making this small popping or puff sound. He only does it once or twice at a time. He's been doing it for months. At first I assumed I was hearing things, now I'm positive he's doing it as some kind of a greeting or warning or complaint........no, I'm not squeezing him! - lol.

I also noticed that he "tells" me when he wants to eat or drink. He does this by staring at me until he catches my eye, then when I'm looking right at him, he'll slightly open and shut his mouth very quickly once or twice. I react to this by immediately taking him out of his viv and giving him water or food. Dose anybody know if this is typical communication or not?.......or am I just projecting?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't personally heard of dragons communicating they want to eat but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen :)
Generally I think they make noises to communicate with other dragons in a way but it probably isn't words or anything like that
It's probably a way of establishing dominance and used for mating
Any experts care to weigh in?

Hero-Wuff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I went to an animal care college and there was a bearded dragon there who hissed at me when i was stroking his beard...

monature

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a male and a female, and my male makes noises. He does this puff thing like a bullfrog does and a puffy noise comes out when he does it. The female doesn't do it

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not a total loon. I know my dragon doesn't talk in words. But he does communicate with quiet puffs, faint popping noises and quick mouth shuts......typical male - full of hot air.

He also makes a long blowing out sound (with a closed mouth) if I'm handling him too roughly. This usually happens when I'm trying to prevent him from getting down after he's been out of his viv a long while and its time to go back. He'll protest by trying to jump or climb down my body to get away. This blowing out (or exhauling) sound is also immediately accompanied by him inflating his sides to the point that his spikes get hard enough to give me a good poke! I guess he's getting his "point" (get it) across for me to let go!! - ha ha.

He doesn't get his way (I'm not about to start letting him win those kinds of battles). I usually hold him firmly, look at him straight in the face and tell him hes a naughty boy! Then he gets not so ceremoniously plopped back into his viv where he looks at me cockeyed, with tail up, colors bright, chin raised as if to say - I'll be bock (.....do it in the Arnold voice - it's way funnier) :D

Polly

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds cute! Sid lets me know when he needs to go for a poo, if he's near a window he'll put his nose against it and push it left and right like he's trying to get out, so I take him outside and he goes! Or if he's in my arms he does make a little exhaling noise and then he just frantically tries to get down. He gives me fair warning and if I don't take him outside he'll just go then and there. But generally he only goes for a poo if he's outside or in the bathroom. Means I don't have to clean the cage so much ^_^

ChelsPerez

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 17 month old makes very faint puffing noises when I take him out of his viv. I usually scoop him up gently and slowly put him on my shoulder or under my chin for a quick sec while I'm closing back up his tank. In this position, he's close to my ear and I can hear him making this small popping or puff sound. He only does it once or twice at a time. He's been doing it for months. At first I assumed I was hearing things, now I'm positive he's doing it as some kind of a greeting or warning or complaint........no, I'm not squeezing him! - lol.

I also noticed that he "tells" me when he wants to eat or drink. He does this by staring at me until he catches my eye, then when I'm looking right at him, he'll slightly open and shut his mouth very quickly once or twice. I react to this by immediately taking him out of his viv and giving him water or food. Dose anybody know if this is typical communication or not?.......or am I just projecting?
I know EXACTLY what you’re talking about! You’re the only person I have ever heard from or even read about who has a dragon who does these things. The huffing noise is less than a pissy hiss. With Pete it’s kinda like he’s going “don’t drop me” lol I also know what you mean about the eye contact thing when they want something. We definitely don’t give animals enough credit when figuring out how to communicate with us. ❤️