• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY hammock

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie loves her hammock.:D I just have one of them green zoo med ones. The problem is the suction cups always fell so i took them off and i am using the 3m hooks but the holes are stretched out and it keeps falling off. :mad: ... Im gonna attempt to make my own. I am Not crafty ! I bought some fabric and grommets so the holes dont rip. I also got some batting to make it more comfy . Im just wondering if i should use it ? Has anyone made their own hammock ? would love any suggestions . thanks

Pat B

Super Moderator
That is such a good idea as mine has done the same thing. Spike was obsessed with his hammock so I took it out. He spent waaaay to much time in it. There are some people on the forum that have home made hammocks. Hopefully one of them will show you their picture. You might try a search for 'hammock' and see what you come up with. :rolleyes:

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is obsessed with his hammock!!! I tried to take it away from him once and it was like he panicked and didn't know what to do with himself and wasn't acting right so I put it back and up he went back on it and was happy as a clam :) I noticed my suction cups aren't working anymore either so for now I taped them but I'd like to be creative too somehow with the hammock..let us know what you come up with and post a pic!!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh Dear.....your beardie too!! Spike wouldn't leave his hammock for anything and I did take it away!! Clean your suction cups and the glass....that might help. Spike did fine without it and I 'might' but it back. Haven't decided yet!! :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie rarely uses her hammock and only uses it when I put her on it while I clean her tank. (She'll sit there on there and wait for me to finish it.)

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
I would like to get one. I have one question. On what side should i put the hammock on, the cool side of the tank or the 110 degree side of the tank.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
I still havent made them yet. My work schedule has been kinda busy . I have mine by the basking side right now . I'm gonna try to make 2 and put one on each side. When i do make them do you think i should put batting in the middle so its softer or just use the fabric alone ?

Pat B

Super Moderator
I always had mine on the basking side. Spike would go up there and not come down....literally. That is why I had to remove it. He is much more active without it!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The issue with making your own with fabric is that it blocks your lighting & UVB, leaving a lot of shaded\dark areas on the floor. That is why purchased ones, found in Pet Stores, are made of screen, to allow some light to pass through. I would not use a solid fabric hammock.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The issue with making your own with fabric is that it blocks your lighting & UVB, leaving a lot of shaded\dark areas on the floor. That is why purchased ones, found in Pet Stores, are made of screen, to allow some light to pass through. I would not use a solid fabric hammock.

How about on the non-uvb side,if setup that way?

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
guess i shoulda specified a lil more =P was wonderin if the solid piece could be used on the non uvb side? has anyone looked for the screen they use?

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
hemphammock.jpg
Captain tyin' hemp knots.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=176713

I love this natural alternative.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Henry x Stella, I like it ! I dont know if i could make that tho. Ill buy it :) I did try to make my own , it didnt turn out so well . I cant sew :p