• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discoloration

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello not sure if I’m being a Nervous Nelly but does his bottom lip look discolored or show signs of infection?thanks much.
E3581523-F75F-4FAA-B473-C5EF53C473C6.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello not sure if I’m being a Nervous Nelly but does his bottom lip look discolored or show signs of infection?thanks much.View attachment 27677
Some of that looks like shed and where did he get the cut on his lip? Please get some raw unpasteurized honey like some Manuka that is an example and put on his lip--- it is a antibacterial that will kill any infection and promote healing ---- DO NOT leave any crickets in the tank they will go straight for the lip ---- and I would look at getting rid of the substrate your using --- any ingestion of the wood chip that are sharp could cause internal damage or impaction ---- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath --- you can get it from your local home improvement store or Walmart clean w/ vnegar/ water solution 50/50

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Can we get an overall picture of the enclosure? It looks like someone smushed a blackberry on his lips? Does he ram his head against anything? Or did he accidentally get some poo on his face? Give him a bath and or wipe his face with a baby wipe and take another picture, it’s definitely not infected but it does look really weird.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Some of that looks like shed and where did he get the cut on his lip? Please get some raw unpasteurized honey like some Manuka that is an example and put on his lip--- it is a antibacterial that will kill any infection and promote healing ---- DO NOT leave any crickets in the tank they will go straight for the lip ---- and I would look at getting rid of the substrate your using --- any ingestion of the wood chip that are sharp could cause internal damage or impaction ---- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath --- you can get it from your local home improvement store or Walmart clean w/ vnegar/ water solution 50/50
He was shedding recently. I’m not sure about the cut on his lip. That’s why I’m asking. I was actually considering going which a different substrate. Maybe tile. I have to do some research first. Any you’d go with? The substrate I have was recommended by another member here in the forums. It consisted of coco fiber, sand and sphagnum moss. I can’t remember the exact specifics. I’ll be able to pick up the Manuka tomorrow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He was shedding recently. I’m not sure about the cut on his lip. That’s why I’m asking. I was actually considering going which a different substrate. Maybe tile. I have to do some research first. Any you’d go with? The substrate I have was recommended by another member here in the forums. It consisted of coco fiber, sand and sphagnum moss. I can’t remember the exact specifics. I’ll be able to pick up the Manuka tomorrow.
Is the substrate real dusty? You don't want a dusty substrate- they will cause a RI-- I use tile in my tanks- it's a textured slated ceramic tile- it will need to be cut by a tile cutter to prevent jagged edges- if you have more questions please ask

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Can we get an overall picture of the enclosure? It looks like someone smushed a blackberry on his lips? Does he ram his head against anything? Or did he accidentally get some poo on his face? Give him a bath and or wipe his face with a baby wipe and take another picture, it’s definitely not infected but it does look really weird.
Here’s the pic of the tank.Actually I couldn’t get him to eat fruits and veggies but recently he started eating blueberries. im not sure if he injured himself and I constantly monitor his pooping habits. I’ll be able to get the baby wipes tomorrow.thanks
6CC52E61-BDE7-46A0-817B-6D1DE3FCBB6B.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here’s the pic of the tank.Actually I couldn’t get him to eat fruits and veggies but recently he started eating blueberries. im not sure if he injured himself and I constantly monitor his pooping habits. I’ll be able to get the baby wipes tomorrow.thanks
View attachment 27692
Doe you have a digital probe thermometer? That's going to work best on the hammocks for accurate basking temps

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is the substrate real dusty? You don't want a dusty substrate- they will cause a RI-- I use tile in my tanks- it's a textured slated ceramic tile- it will need to be cut by a tile cutter to prevent jagged edges- if you have more questions please ask
It doesn’t appear to be dusty. But not 100% sure

I tried googling and can’t find it . What does “RI” mean?
thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn’t appear to be dusty. But not 100% sure

I tried googling and can’t find it . What does “RI” mean?
thanks
Respiratory infection- did you try washing off the lip- is it a actual cut or blueberry?

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Doe you have a digital probe thermometer? That's going to work best on the hammocks for accurate basking temps
Hello again, that’s where I usually place the thermometer. On the hammock. It usually reads at about 104 degrees. The thermometer I use is below.
E7922C97-3E9D-4E17-AF14-CF960E50E4DA.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have no idea. What should I use to wipe his snout?
Anything, use a damp paper towel. It almost looks like blueberry juice to me , but cant be shure, aside from the substrate possibly being dusty, i cant see anything he’d bump his mouth on or anything else thats odd.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Not to be rude but,…………..
8E9BC63E-2AD4-4922-9E6D-03B0C38F7D85.jpeg

Hellooooo?! Lol are we talking to a person with split personality? Do u not remember putting this in the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That looks like blueberry juice --- you dont need actual baby wipes to clean him off a clean cloth w/ water will do --- and I would look at getting digital probe thermometer --- the substrate I am going to inquire about -- I am thinking moss is very dusty along w/ coco fiber ---

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That looks like blueberry juice --- you dont need actual baby wipes to clean him off a clean cloth w/ water will do --- and I would look at getting digital probe thermometer --- the substrate I am going to inquire about -- I am thinking moss is very dusty along w/ coco fiber ---
The moss shouldn’t be dusty at all but the brand of coco fiber OP has does look kinda dusty to me ._. , it should be longer strands (atleast the kind i buy is, and isn’t dusty at all)

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The moss shouldn’t be dusty at all but the brand of coco fiber OP has does look kinda dusty to me ._. , it should be longer strands (atleast the kind i buy is, and isn’t dusty at all)
I think I’m just gonna go with a tile flooring.Are tiles easier to maintain?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I’m just gonna go with a tile flooring.Are tiles easier to maintain?
Yes clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 ---- do not grout them or seal them in ---- cut to the size of the tank w /a tile cutter and get the measurements inside --- I use a thick shop paper towel from Walmart underneath it catches the watery urate so you can clean tile pull it and replace paper towel under it ---- also its easier to clean and pull those tiles if the dragon gets sick like w/ coccidia / pinworms if you seal the tile in you wont be able to do that --- you want a textured slated ceramic tile --- nothing to coarse or too smooth for traction --- here is a piece of my tile I got from Home Depot -- cost me $13 to tile a 120 gallon tank

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 7

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I had tile for a while but found if you have high decor its really bad for their joints, if u notice ur beardies soles of their feet getting pink or swollen, you need to add some cushion.
87B849AE-089F-466D-A024-DE153492B304.jpeg

i have a couple different substrates in my enclosure, ive found them all to be easy to clean , back left “stone desert” red clay (i mixed with water and sculpted it and let harden) , back middle a NON-Aggregated sand (you need a proper sand to use it, and not the whole enclosure) , front to middle “excavator clay” that i let harden(highly recommend this one) , right side of the enclosure has from bottom up , clay balls, mesh layer, soil, leaves and bark as a top layer, i let her sleep on cloth so she has a soft bed and she doesn’t have to sleep on any substrate.

you can put your bearded dragon on many different kinds of things, it just has to be implemented in the right way.

Attachments

• 03B36789-4D6F-4F36-8CBB-EE015653255C.jpeg
    03B36789-4D6F-4F36-8CBB-EE015653255C.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I had tile for a while but found if you have high decor its really bad for their joints, if u notice ur beardies soles of their feet getting pink or swollen, you need to add some cushion.
View attachment 27733
i have a couple different substrates in my enclosure, ive found them all to be easy to clean , back left “stone desert” red clay (i mixed with water and sculpted it and let harden) , back middle a NON-Aggregated sand (you need a proper sand to use it, and not the whole enclosure) , front to middle “excavator clay” that i let harden(highly recommend this one) , right side of the enclosure has from bottom up , clay balls, mesh layer, soil, leaves and bark as a top layer, i let her sleep on cloth so she has a soft bed and she doesn’t have to sleep on any substrate.

you can put your bearded dragon on many different kinds of things, it just has to be implemented in the right way.
Wow. What size tank is it?