• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dis is what we brought home from vacation...

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dinner for the whole winter !

Venison2010.jpg

James shot it, with my gun, 70 yards , 1 shot.
I skinned and field dressed it that night (Tuesday) and Wednesday I finished processing it into stew and steaks...
That 5 pointer weighed in 150, and I harvested around 45-55 lbs of meat... Nice...

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Believe me, it's better to harvest them now while food is plenty, then have to find the starved carcasses in spring, in meadows and glens that a doe would otherwise use to drop her fawns...
Also, I don't hunt for tropheys.. I hunt to feed my family.. I never take more than I can use.. and the legs are treats for the puppies, the meat for stews and steaks, even the skull is saved for use too...

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I understand Janie. I don't think less of you for hunting and I admire the fact that you hunt to eat and don't waste the animal rather than hunt for sport

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
nice !! I want to go hunting so bad ! such good meat here in SA when you go game hunting !

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can tell I'm no hunter lol In a way they still caught it (in the crosshairs)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
150lbs....that's about how big the one was that crashed through our full glass front door on Thanksgiving two years ago. Well, I guesstimate between 130 and 150. She was slightly taller than Bev's piano in our upstairs living room. It ran through our house, past Bev baking in the kitchen, and down our basement stairs. It literally sounded like our roof was falling in....and Bev was screaming at the top of her lungs. Fortunately, I was in the basement only 5 feet from her and was able to keep her from tearing up the basement where all my lizard cages are. I wrestled her to the ground, bear hugged her, and carried her back up the stairs and out the front door (well....what was left of it). I was quite surprised when she went totally limp when I bear hugged her. I don't remember her being heavy...only that I was fearful for what she could do to my house and family and had to get her out. Adrenaline must've taken over.

After releasing her, I turned around and didn't get two steps inside and collapsed in pain. I couldn't even stand up. For any of you that know what I deal with concerning my back, you'll understand.

Police couldn't believe that the only damage was to the front door. It was in a million pieces....and we're still finding glass today. She hit the door so hard that we found a piece on the opposing window sill in our kitchen....the next spring. That's 25 feet away.

Oh...and Bev had to toss everything she was baking due to glass shards. We'll remember that Thanksgiving forever. Guys called me the Deer Whisperer at work for a while. LOL!

Sorry, Janie...didn't mean to hijack. You just reminded me of what we were doing about this time two years ago...and it had to do with a deer.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craig ? Stories like that... make legends !

Anyone remember Paul Bunyan ? Davy Crockett ? See where I'm going with this ? Craig... Deer Whisperer !

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes I have a "what deer overpopulation results in" type story as well. One time around Christmas when I was in middle school. We were driving home from a horse trainers stable where our horses were kept. A huge doe bounded out into the road in front of us. My mother swerved so hard we most nearly spun around and still the doe managed to impact the middle drivers side panel of the suburban. It's back legs were both completely shattered and we had to put it out of it's misery. Just remember, people can get killed in these wrecks too. Deer overpopulation leads to a sharp increase in this type of occurrence for those against hunting deer. The bucks with their antlers are particularly dangerous in a collision as they can penetrate your windshield and basically impale you or your front passenger. Just something to consider. It is a part of nature's balance that is mostly left up to us as we have driven most of the deer's natural predators like wolves. This is not meant as a flame to deer fans :), just a devil's advocate stance.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Craig ? Stories like that... make legends !

Anyone remember Paul Bunyan ? Davy Crockett ? See where I'm going with this ? Craig... Deer Whisperer !

Ha! No legend, here...I can attest to that! LOL!

By the way, just two weeks after this event, I saw a bunch of deer in the corn field right next to our house. Literally just a hundred or so feet away....I stopped counting at 20. I was almost sure one of them was the one I carried out. She must've called them all together to tell them, "See....there he is! He's the one that carried me out of that place!". Since that day, I've noticed deer creepily watching me....almost like they're trying to protect me or something. LOL!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One can never figure nature out... and why would we want to ? lol

I still say... Deer Whisperer...

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the day, the deer came to stay, after heroic acts of kindness...
Just the Ode to the Deer Whisperer...

The doe, not aware, came to stare at the strange creatures.
Into the glass , she did smash, the door flung asunder...
Bev caught her stare, never aware, the doe sought to see...

Down with a clatter, the stairs no matter, into the basement she swung...
Craig no matter his dragons to protect, flung open his loving arms...
The doe came to rest, without regret, the man's tender kindness..
Up so they went, never a tear spent, into the wild green open...

And so to this day, the deer came to stay, all awhile in wonder...
To watch and to see, this creature who be... He who deers a whisper...

There ya go, Craig.. Immortalized in verse... lol

BigDaddyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
This is the day, the deer came to stay, after heroic acts of kindness...
Just the Ode to the Deer Whisperer...

The doe, not aware, came to stare at the strange creatures.
Into the glass , she did smash, the door flung asunder...
Bev caught her stare, never aware, the doe sought to see...

Down with a clatter, the stairs no matter, into the basement she swung...
Craig no matter his dragons to protect, flung open his loving arms...
The doe came to rest, without regret, the man's tender kindness..
Up so they went, never a tear spent, into the wild green open...

And so to this day, the deer came to stay, all awhile in wonder...
To watch and to see, this creature who be... He who deers a whisper...

There ya go, Craig.. Immortalized in verse... lol

YES!!! That is awesome! And it is now official. You sir, are the deer whisperer. Very nice writing btw.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BigDaddyDragon said:
YES!!! That is awesome! And it is now official. You sir, are the deer whisperer. Very nice writing btw.

Oh boy....I may end up regretting ever mentioning the Deer Whisperer, now. LOL!

Oh...and I agree with BigDaddy, very nice writing, Janie.