• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dig box?

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
I’m thinking of adding a dig box to my dragons enclosure. I have a couple questions:

1. What safe substrate can I use?
2. How big and how deep?
3. Should it keep it under the uv bulb or on the cool side?

thank you!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I’m thinking of adding a dig box to my dragons enclosure. I have a couple questions:

2. How big and how deep?

thank you!!
“Play sand” specifically is what you want to look for, imix a little dirt or topsoil with no fertilizers in it till you get the desired consistency, I personally wouldn’t do more than 30% of the enclosure in sand, they need multiple textures and surfaces to walk and be on, and where you keep it is up to you, ive built my enclosure around how my beardy acts.

Attachments

• 26E43BD1-E9BC-4C7A-859F-D20D2BC9FB45.jpeg
    26E43BD1-E9BC-4C7A-859F-D20D2BC9FB45.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 122

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
“Play sand” specifically is what you want to look for, imix a little dirt or topsoil with no fertilizers in it till you get the desired consistency, I personally wouldn’t do more than 30% of the enclosure in sand, they need multiple textures and surfaces to walk and be on, and where you keep it is up to you, ive built my enclosure around how my beardy acts.
That’s awesome! I love your layout!!! Thanks for the advice

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
Children's play sand only as it's made to not stick/cling together like other sands that can cause binding. Puff's dig box is on the cool side but if you feel they want to lay, you can move a dome over it. Not sure if you just wanted it for enrichment or laying. She laid once and wouldn't do it in a dig box, we had to dump it in her cage. For laying you want it warm and damp. For just plain fun, 4-6 inches of dry play sand. This is puff with her dig box.
20210616_120500.jpg

This is peaches, she is bioactive but in the back has more play sand for plain digging and the rest is a 50/50 underneath. The plant area has a bit more substrate for the plants and isopods.

20210704_150842.jpg

20210629_142056.jpg

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
Children's play sand only as it's made to not stick/cling together like other sands that can cause binding. Puff's dig box is on the cool side but if you feel they want to lay, you can move a dome over it. Not sure if you just wanted it for enrichment or laying. She laid once and wouldn't do it in a dig box, we had to dump it in her cage. For laying you want it warm and damp. For just plain fun, 4-6 inches of dry play sand. This is puff with her dig box.
View attachment 28561

This is peaches, she is bioactive but in the back has more play sand for plain digging and the rest is a 50/50 underneath. The plant area has a bit more substrate for the plants and isopods.

View attachment 28562

View attachment 28563
Wow you also have an awesome set up! Is the bio active setup hard? Ok so I can find the play dang at like home improvement stores right?

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
View attachment 28561

View attachment 28562

View attachment 28563
Also, your dragons are adorbs

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
I saw a video where beardie was loving golden flaxseed. Gonna try it myself someday.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
this is exactly what I want to do! Do you have any issues with the sand? how deep is this?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
this is exactly what I want to do! Do you have any issues with the sand? how deep is this?
None, but you really dont want them sleeping on it, and other than my dragon pooping in it, it’s about 3 inches, i don’t recommend more than more than 1/3 sand for the enclosure though, you want different textures throughout the enclosure.

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon

2. How big and how deep?

thank you!!
Carpet n etc. any