• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Differences Between Male & Female Roaches

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just an FYI for some that keep or feed roaches. I keep Discoid Roaches (Blaberus Discoidalis AKA 'False Death's Head Cockroach') so I don't have any Dubia to show. Adult Dubia are easy to tell the difference between Male & Females, Males have full wings, Females don't. Adult Discoids are a little more difficult to tell, as they both have full wings. Male Discoid wings are slightly longer than the body, Female's wings are slightly shorter than the body and are generally physically a little bigger. Turning them over & looking at their underside also has some differences in Adult Discoids. There is also a visible difference from the underside, characteristic to both Discoid, Dubia & many other species of Tropical Roaches that comes in handy, if trying to sort Nymphs for feeding & Male/Female ratios of a colony. The segments at the tail end are different.

I chilled up a couple of my Discoids Some pics to demonstrate.

Discoids014.jpg

Discoids004.jpg

Discoids019.jpg

When Discoids molt/shed they are completely white other than what looks to us as the eye area, which remains black. Full Natural color shows, generally within the hour. An interesting but 'eerie' fact is the quite striking resemblance to a human face hidden under the black on the cap above the head. I didn't happen to have one molting so I borrowed a pic off of the net.

DiscoidRoachfreshmolt.jpg
DiscoidRoachfreshmoltFace.jpg

Sweet Dreams ;)