• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diet for weight gain

lizzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all!
Long story short, my ex had bought a bearded dragon; When we broke up he left the dragon.
I've been doing research online for a few days now and discovered he had extremely poor husbandry practice. Fed her mealworms and kale (with occasionally dusting) and bathed her maybe once a month. After looking at photos of other lizards I feel she may also have MBD.
I feel like a horrible person for not noticing earlier that she needed help and I realize this is my own fault for not being involved (I'll be honest, the lizard scared me... and still does a little lol). I'm doing everything possible now to give her the best care.
She's been upgraded to a 4ft long tank, added more enrichment into the tank (hammock, climbing rocks, driftwood), removed the sand and now use repti-carpet, given frequent baths, and "outdoor" time in the sun in a playpen. She's got a dual dome light (one has a heat light and one is a white light) but I'm thinking about changing them to the longer tube style lights (open to suggestions!).

I've changed her diet as well, and offer her a salad with a large variety but she won't eat any of it! occasionally she'll pick the kale out but I can't get her to try anything new. It's frustrating! Is there anything I can do to get her to eat more fruits and veggies?

I've offered her a variety of insects that I've been dusting and gut loading but she'll only stick to the mealworms for the most part. She has yet to try a silkworm, hornworm or cricket (but will eat the superworms sometimes). I heard wax worms are good for weight gain but that some beardies won't go back to other insects so I'm hesitant on trying them. Is there anything else I can do to help the girl gain some weight? if I use wax worms how often do I feed them?

I also wanted to ask what's everyone's favorite brand of vitamins to use?

Thanks in advance :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!! I'm glad to hear that she's got some better care going on.. You will find all the info that you need in the links below several of our comments.. We've put together info for new comers on all areas of care.. take a look at that and we can fill in the questions :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just practice tough love, she will eventually start to eat other things if you don't provide the bad things. Supers are good to help put on weight and they do look like meal worms so they would help. Bee pollen sprinkled on salad and bugs may also help. Some dragons love the taste of it and will eat anything dusted with it.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would like to second patsys suggestion about the bee pollen. i got a multivitamin from beardeddragon.co that had bee pollen in it, and my girl goes totally nuts for anything thats dusted with it. and of course multivitamins would be a great idea for yours if you feel like it hasn't been given proper care.

Also, whats making you think it has MBD? If you even suspect, you should definitely make sure you have proper lighting (a tube style UVB light).

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for stepping up to take care of her!!! Beardies can be incredibly rewarding pets. It sounds like you are on the right track! Make sure you have a good UVB light - I use
Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB - it is a tube light, so wide uvb exposure.

Also, invest in a good temp gun for accurate readings. If her temps and lighting are correct she should improve drastically, and you can gradually work on eating habits.

The more you work with her the more comfortable she will be, and hopefully open to trying new things! I put mine on my lap and hand feed him sometimes, when he is being especially lazy.

Mine could care less about bee pollen, but I do use herptivite vitamin supplement, calcium with and without d3, and probiotics. Since she hasn't had the best care I would suggest getting some probiotics to dust her food as well... also try chopping up the kale pretty fine, mixed with other chopped veggies - she might accidentally ingest other veggies and you can wean her off the kale. Collard greens are my babies favorite. Good luck, keep us posted! And we love pictures!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with ^^ Lighting is huge!! I personally use the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 as my female during the day I keep her mesh lid off as she loves to peer over the top and watch TV and us,,, however my male that won't work and his needed to be mounted on the underside of the mesh as his tank just slides under our top kitchen cabinets on our countertop..
The T5 bulbs only need to be replaced 1 time a year. T8 need to be changed 2 times a year.

lizzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good news! I've ordered some new bulbs on amazon as well as a temp gun :) can't wait for them to arrive lol. The links and info have been super helpful. I've tried some bee pollen with her but she doesn't seem to care for it.

Found a local vet who does herps so were going, just to make sure she doesn't have parasites and get an opinion on the MBD.

Here's a picture of my little miss enjoying some sun rays :cool:
20170714_182506.jpg 20170714_182452.jpg

Thank you all for the help :D

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good news! I've ordered some new bulbs on amazon as well as a temp gun :) can't wait for them to arrive lol. The links and info have been super helpful. I've tried some bee pollen with her but she doesn't seem to care for it.

Found a local vet who does herps so were going, just to make sure she doesn't have parasites and get an opinion on the MBD.

Here's a picture of my little miss enjoying some sun rays :cool:
View attachment 17098 View attachment 17099

Thank you all for the help :D
Well that's awesome and I would like to mention the changes are already noted your little one is starting to shed!! That's a great sign she's getting better care! Keep trying the bee pollen and you can also put it on the bugs and in the bug feeder food so in a round about way it can be of help that way.
I'm really glad that the links have been helpful as that is the goal of having them.. Looking great!! love her colors