• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter is a nutcase! Just saying . . .

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey, guess who! Sorry it's been so long. I've been crazy busy lately. So Dexter is now a full-grown, big boy. And he's nuts! hahahaha

Now that he's been outside, he wants outside. Every minute. When he's running around stretching his legs he beelines for the screen door and climbs it. Hangs for a few minutes, climbs down, looks to see if I'm watching, climbs it, and repeats the process, unless I close the front door or take him outside. lol

He's also got the head bobbing going on all the time he's running around. Head bobs at me, head bobs at the cat, head bobs at the dog, head bobs at his reflection in my appliances. Sheesh! My mild mannered dude is now nuts! He doesn't puff up aggressively and hasn't even thought to bite . . . he just does the head bobbing thing. It is quite hysterical. Sometimes he does it for no reason at all.

He's slowed down quite a bit on his eating. He'll eat part of his salad each day and some days isn't interested in his protein. Not sure that's normal, but he's not losing weight. I now make sure I mist him twice a day and I do try to give him water via a syringe every other day. Where he's not eating much now I'm worried he'll get dehydrated.

I've also noticed he hasn't shed in a while. Is that unusual? Seemed like when he was little he was shedding every time I turned around. Now I think it has been a few months. He looks healthy and is just as active as always, so not sure.

Gotta go for now. Talk to you all soon!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to heard dexters still keeping everyone on their toes lol, i wish my beardie would show interest in our dog, all she does is “kiss” her when my dog goes to sniff her and see what this weird scaly thing is, them slowing down is quite normal, they get super lazy around year 3, if he doesn’t eat one day its fine, they wouldn’t be getting food every day in the wild anyway, and my beardie hasn’t done a big shed in a couple months either, they don’t shed much as adults or hardly at all as they age.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nice to hear Dexter is doing so well :) He sounds like my boy StripeSpot!! I assume they slow down on eating and shedding due to being a little more "grown-up" and not growing an entire inch a week LOL.
Aw thanks. Hope StripeSpot is doing well also! Yeah, I vaguely remember someone saying they shed less often. I think I was just so used to him shedding and shedding and shedding. lol Yup, looks like he's finally done growing length wise. I think he'll grow a bit more width wise. hahahaha

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad to heard dexters still keeping everyone on their toes lol, i wish my beardie would show interest in our dog, all she does is “kiss” her when my dog goes to sniff her and see what this weird scaly thing is, them slowing down is quite normal, they get super lazy around year 3, if he doesn’t eat one day its fine, they wouldn’t be getting food every day in the wild anyway, and my beardie hasn’t done a big shed in a couple months either, they don’t shed much as adults or hardly at all as they age.
Hey Skybug, long time no talk. lol Dog and cat don't pay him any attention. He bobs at them and they just looked at him like "Yeah, you got me shaking in my paws dude!" and continue on their way. hahahaha Aw sounds adorable. Dexter doesn't give kisses, just head bobs.

Good to know on the eating and shedding. Thanks! Dexter used to be quite the piggy. Now he barely eats anything. Had me worried there for a bit. Kept a close eye on him. He does eat when he's hungry which is good I guess. Just not in the consumption he had been when he was younger. :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Skybug, long time no talk. lol Dog and cat don't pay him any attention. He bobs at them and they just looked at him like "Yeah, you got me shaking in my paws dude!" and continue on their way. hahahaha Aw sounds adorable. Dexter doesn't give kisses, just head bobs.

Good to know on the eating and shedding. Thanks! Dexter used to be quite the piggy. Now he barely eats anything. Had me worried there for a bit. Kept a close eye on him. He does eat when he's hungry which is good I guess. Just not in the consumption he had been when he was younger. :)
Has dexter ever chased them?! Or is he all bluff lol? He seems like a scaredy-lizard to me, im glad he’s doin well, we’ve had a number of our beardie friends Rehome theirs over the time uve been gone, tis a shame, glad to see hes still causing havoc.