• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Delayed Cricket Shipment! Protein alternatives?

M.Cox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Help! My last shipment of crickets didn't last as long as I had hoped (he ate a LOT but many also died because I am still figuring out how to keep crickets), so now my beardie is out of crickets and the next shipment won't arrive for a few days, or longer if this snow keeps up. He's still young (about 8 inches), so he needs lots of protein, but all I have to feed him are vegetables. Is there any other "people food" that would serve as a temporary replacement for crickets, or will he be okay with just vegetables for a few days? I don't want him to get sick or malnourished!

Also, I've definitely learned from this experience. I'm planning on getting smaller, more frequent cricket orders after this, with some black soldier fly larvae as backup and for variation.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
veggies will be fine for a few days. You will need to keep the BSFL somewhere cool or they turn into flies pretty quickly I have found.

M.Cox

Bearded Dragon Egg
veggies will be fine for a few days. You will need to keep the BSFL somewhere cool or they turn into flies pretty quickly I have found.

For the BSFL, the fridge would be too cold, right? I've heard that kills them. Any suggestions on how to keep them cool, but outside of the fridge?

Latest posts