• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Decrease in appetite. Is this normal?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dex is going through a phase and I’m not sure it’s because he’s getting close to a year old or not, but he’s slowing down on his eating. Is this normal? He’s around 8 months old now. For the past week he hasn’t completely finished his morning and afternoon salads and he hasn’t been eating quite his normal daily quantity of roaches and crickets. He’s definitely plump and he’s well-hydrated. He’s pooing normally and is as active as he has always been. I just replaced his UV bulb as the six month marker was up and his basking temp is normal. I can’t find any reason for his decrease in appetite except for age maybe.?.? Just wanted to check.

Yesterday afternoon I went to put his afternoon salad into his tank and Dex was determined to get out and explore. lol Wasn't even interested in the salad. Sigh.

IMG_1208.JPG

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww, he’s so lovely! Is he possibly due a shed? Or maybe he's set himself a New Years resolution like many of us to drop a few grams and get fit

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He may be going into shed, or it could be age-related. As beardies grow up, their metabolism and appetite decreases. If you can, try waiting a bit longer in between meals.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He may be going into shed, or it could be age-related. As beardies grow up, their metabolism and appetite decreases. If you can, try waiting a bit longer in between meals.
Doesn't look like he's starting a shed so I'll try the waiting period between meals. I'll keep an eye on him. :) Thanks Hooman!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Aww, he’s so lovely! Is he possibly due a shed? Or maybe he's set himself a New Years resolution like many of us to drop a few grams and get fit
Thanks JJ. He's growing into such a handsome boy. :) Don't think it's a shed. He doesn't have any signs and he had one a few weeks ago. Could be the New Year's resolution idea, though (hee hee) as he is quite chunky.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Huh! Even though Dex just went through a shed it looks like y’all were right. Mister grumpy pants is back. I went to check on him after his lights came on and saw his attempt at a lion mane. Lol

I am lion! Hear me ROAR!
Dex1.jpg

After his breakfast he had a nice, long soak and felt better! For just a common central he gets more orange accents every time he sheds. Now he’s got pretty orange highlights on his chin. :)
Dex 2.jpg

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Huh! Even though Dex just went through a shed it looks like y’all were right. Mister grumpy pants is back. I went to check on him after his lights came on and saw his attempt at a lion mane. Lol

I am lion! Hear me ROAR!
View attachment 25100
After his breakfast he had a nice, long soak and felt better! For just a common central he gets more orange accents every time he sheds. Now he’s got pretty orange highlights on his chin. :)
View attachment 25101
my beardie also has those orange highlight in his beard and he also has some orange on his tail and blue bars on his back when he's not in his dark basking form not sure if he's hypo or not he doesn't have clear nails so he might be only part hypo

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
my beardie also has those orange highlight in his beard and he also has some orange on his tail and blue bars on his back when he's not in his dark basking form not sure if he's hypo or not he doesn't have clear nails so he might be only part hypo
Awww, he has beautiful markings. Sorry can't help with the hypo determination. Pretty ignorant when it comes to types. I ended up asking the pet store where I got Dex what type he was. They purchase from a specific breeder and were able to find out for me. The breeder said that batch of eggs came from 2 of his common centrals, but that Dex's mum had some hypo way back in her pedigree. Too diluted to matter for Dex, though. lol

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Awww, he has beautiful markings. Sorry can't help with the hypo determination. Pretty ignorant when it comes to types. I ended up asking the pet store where I got Dex what type he was. They purchase from a specific breeder and were able to find out for me. The breeder said that batch of eggs came from 2 of his common centrals, but that Dex's mum had some hypo way back in her pedigree. Too diluted to matter for Dex, though. lol
okay thanks for letting me know once he wakes up from burmation im'a take some pictures of him and post it on here