• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cutting nails

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
I was cutting Murphy's nails and was almost done and noticed when he pulled away from me the nail didn't cut all the way threw but started to show a little blood. I put cornstarch on it immedietly. It's not beelding anymore but conserned about the cut in his nail. What should I do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was cutting Murphy's nails and was almost done and noticed when he pulled away from me the nail didn't cut all the way threw but started to show a little blood. I put cornstarch on it immedietly. It's not beelding anymore but conserned about the cut in his nail. What should I do?
Put some raw unpasteurized honey on it- that will stop infection and promote healing- no crickets in the tank if your feeding them they will go for the honey on the nail

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Sadie. I just was feeding him some crickets and seen the tip was hanging off. I cut it the rest of the way off and no blood. I'm still gonna put some honey on it but I think he's ok. The other 3 nails can wait till another day. I'm to Shakey now lol.

Dk638

Hatchling Dragon
What do you cut the nails with? Our 5 month olds nails are getting quite big lol

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
What do you cut the nails with? Our 5 month olds nails are getting quite big lol
Regular nail clippers that you would use on yourself. I find them the easiest to control just make sure they are pretty sharp otherwise they won't cut through. I used to cut my guinea pigs nails the same way. I've bought the special scissors looking ones and some others but nothing as good and easy as regular old nail clippers. Not the bigger toe nail ones just the small regular ones. I'd suggest watching a YouTube video on how to do it. Especially on the little ones cause their nails are so small. That way you know exactly what your looking for as to where to cut. Also make sure you have either the reptile nail powder or just some cornstarch Incase you go to deep and they bleed. Sadie also said if that happens to put raw unpasteurized honey on it cause it helps prevent any infection. Also make sure there is NO CRICKETS in the cage with the dragon cause they will bite at the honey and hurt your dragon. Hope that helps. I've certainly learned A LOT from this forum. Sadie has been a HUGE help.

Dk638

Hatchling Dragon
Regular nail clippers that you would use on yourself. I find them the easiest to control just make sure they are pretty sharp otherwise they won't cut through. I used to cut my guinea pigs nails the same way. I've bought the special scissors looking ones and some others but nothing as good and easy as regular old nail clippers. Not the bigger toe nail ones just the small regular ones. I'd suggest watching a YouTube video on how to do it. Especially on the little ones cause their nails are so small. That way you know exactly what your looking for as to where to cut. Also make sure you have either the reptile nail powder or just some cornstarch Incase you go to deep and they bleed. Sadie also said if that happens to put raw unpasteurized honey on it cause it helps prevent any infection. Also make sure there is NO CRICKETS in the cage with the dragon cause they will bite at the honey and hurt your dragon. Hope that helps. I've certainly learned A LOT from this forum. Sadie has been a HUGE help.
Yes Sadie has helped me as well. Thank you for the reply. I’ll watch some videos lol. Her nails get caught von clothing at this point

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes Sadie has helped me as well. Thank you for the reply. I’ll watch some videos lol. Her nails get caught von clothing at this point
Get a piece of slated ceramic tile that has some texture on it and place in the tank like under his food bowl - that will keep his nails down - you dont want something so coarse that it causes abrasions and nothing to smooth that hes sliding on it -- I got mine at home depot - take your hand and run it across the tile