• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cutting hatchlings out of eggs?

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ive seen alot of snake breeders cut the egg open for the hatchlings when the incubation mark was up is this bad and is it something that could be done with bearded dragons with no side effect or harm (dont want to and am not going to but curious)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't cut there is no set time it can go a week or more past any set day or even before the set day keep them till the eggs rot is what we do

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya ive seen the same thing but dont know why they do it. i have never bred my snakes so i cant help you much on that one. I almost wonder if it isnt better for them that way they arnt wasting so much energy trying to get out of the egg and can safe that for feeding. Just a guess

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is done for eggs that go past the expected hatch time, maybe one or two out of the clutch that are having trouble.
The thought is that you would make a very small cut to assist the snake in an effort to save them incase the shell is really thick or the egg tooth has broken off.
So in these cases you try to save a snake that probably would hatch otherwise.
Fliehigh