• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom Enclosures

Coyotestarkiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all!

So I rushed into buying my first beardie (bad me, I know!) And I had purchased a 20gal tank, thinking "eh, it will be fine for now" as I planned on getting a tiny little beardie from petco... but as I did research, I found a local breeder who was AWESOME and ended up purchasing from him. But the catch is, this beardie is already about 5-6 months old or so. So his 20gal is way too small as he is also very happy and active.

So here I am, determined to get him a bigger enclosure. I didnt want to deal with tanks anymore after this 20gal and the annoying mesh lid (as well as the fight lights sitting on top). So I planned to build a melamine enclosure with the sliding front doors. But in my search to find a decent used stand to place it on, I came across a store type wood and glass display case for super cheap.

Has anyone ever converted one for their beardie or beardies before? Would it be beneficial if I did a write up on my conversion? I'm using basically the same concept as the melamine enclosure, just with less work and money. Its HUGE so I could even split it in half down the road if I wanted to.

My other question also comes down to lighting and heat. It is 6 feet long and 30 something inches deep and fairly tall (which I plan to hang the lights from inside, yay!. I have a 24" inch 10.0 HO bulb, with that only covering about a 1/3rd of the tank or so, would you add more? I have a compact UVB bulb I could use to add more, or get another of the tube UVB. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
I would use a 48" H5 double flourecent light fixture. Use one for UVB the other for light. Then I would mount inside 2 ceramic fixtures on each end, one for basking, the other for a CHE bulb.