• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Critique his new enclosure!

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I'd love to see what people with more experience think of his new enclosure and if you would change anything. I've done extensive research before putting it together but I would still love second opinions. Here goes

The enclosure itself is made of 5/8 melamine. It is 4 foot long, 2 foot deep and 16 inches and a half tall
kCKXaTb.jpg

In the enclosure he has his log he recently fell in love with (I had to level is using a screw as it was so crooked), his 3 bowls for fresh greens, water, pellets. He also has 3 tiles that I put kind of in the middle so that he can file his nails a bit by walking around as they get really sharp and as you can see a small cat/dog bed. I'm not sure how I feel about the bed but its made in a way that he could squeeze himself into the sides and it just seemed like it was a comfortable addition as I've seen a few others do around these sites.

As for lighting, I'm using a 45w sylvania flood light for basking and and a 34 inch t5 HO fixture with an arcadia 12% tube (http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/34-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/).
ld7Jb4M.jpg

Basking temps seem to be at around 95-100 which I understand may be a little too hot for adults? I see so many conflicting posts about it being too much or not. Also humidity stays at 30% which should be good.

One thing I'm not sure about is ventilation, I've followed a few guides when making the enclosure and this should suffice but I overthink when it comes to this, currently he has 3x 3" vents along with the hole where the wires go through and the small cracks in the sliding doors. I hope this is sufficient and I'm just paranoid.

Sorry if this was a long read but I wanted to be thorough and some second opinions on the setup would really reassure me :) Hope his new DIY home suits him as the old 40 gal tank made me feel claustrophobic for him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
95-100 is good for adults. I am with you on the ventilation. I think it could use more, but just keep an eye on everything and see how it goes. It might be okay. I would worry about the bed a little too, it would be easy for him to get stuck in the crease, especially how they like to stick their faces into things. I would try to find a low hide, something that he can climb up easily and get some exercise but have a place underneath for him to go into and relax and hide from the world when he wants to. I bought these hides a few years ago that look like they are repurposed desk drawers. Mine are always sitting on top of them when they aren't in brumation.

I think it looks good though.

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
95-100 is good for adults. I am with you on the ventilation. I think it could use more, but just keep an eye on everything and see how it goes. It might be okay. I would worry about the bed a little too, it would be easy for him to get stuck in the crease, especially how they like to stick their faces into things. I would try to find a low hide, something that he can climb up easily and get some exercise but have a place underneath for him to go into and relax and hide from the world when he wants to. I bought these hides a few years ago that look like they are repurposed desk drawers. Mine are always sitting on top of them when they aren't in brumation.

I think it looks good though.
Thanks for the insight, after a full day of monitoring I'm considering adding a vent on the cool side as the temps hit 85, I know they should be a little lower and would also add added ventilation. I'll see if I can find a better hide than bed, all the ones I've came across so far are too small for his size.

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll add one and see if the temperatures/airflow is better. I can also add one on the other side if needed but I feel like that might create big drafts. He's become so much more vivid in that tank, his greens are much brighter and he seems to black beard alot but that may just be the moving stress