• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So crickets have been getting EXPENSIVE! Like 10$ a week. And that adds up fast. So my brother and I started catching Crickets from outside. It says online that it’s ok, but it’s better getting them from a pet store because they are “free of desiese” but that’s not entirely true. It’s cheaper to catch them in the yard. Because if they were sick they would have already died. And the crickets at the pet store are the same, just bred in captivity. It’s not a terrible idea. Right?....

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Catching wild bugs is a huge risk. They might have ingested or have on them fertilizers, pesticides, etc. These can be extremely toxic. If crickets are getting too expensive, breed them and try a cheaper brand. Catching them in the yard also means that you may not be able to consistently provide them, especially in colder months. If a lot of your purchased crickets are wasted (die before they are eaten), buy smaller batches. I've found that buying from Amazon or a breeder is a lot cheaper than from pet shops.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Catching wild bugs is a huge risk. They might have ingested or have on them fertilizers, pesticides, etc. These can be extremely toxic. If crickets are getting too expensive, breed them and try a cheaper brand. Catching them in the yard also means that you may not be able to consistently provide them, especially in colder months. If a lot of your purchased crickets are wasted (die before they are eaten), buy smaller batches. I've found that buying from Amazon or a breeder is a lot cheaper than from pet shops.
I've thought about ordering crickets online (the nearest pet store to me that sells crickets is half hour away . . . hour long drive for bugs twice a week), but am wondering how many survive the trip? Any suggestions, recommendations when purchasing online to get your $ worth?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It depends on where you buy crickets from and your local temperatures. Some companies, like Josh's Frogs, have a live arrival guarantee. Before you place an order for crickets, check what the temperatures are going to be during shipping so they don't overheat/freeze. I would recommend requesting that you pick them up at the post office. Check reviews for the quality of the bugs.

Here's a trusted vendor:

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah man you shouldn’t be catching bugs from outside. Every website I’ve seen says not to do that, and you don’t know where those crickets have been. I’m not sure if Dubia roaches are cheaper but I’ve heard that they are easy to breed, so you could use those as an alternative to crickets.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok I’ll try amazon

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So crickets have been getting EXPENSIVE! Like 10$ a week. And that adds up fast. So my brother and I started catching Crickets from outside. It says online that it’s ok, but it’s better getting them from a pet store because they are “free of desiese” but that’s not entirely true. It’s cheaper to catch them in the yard. Because if they were sick they would have already died. And the crickets at the pet store are the same, just bred in captivity. It’s not a terrible idea. Right?....
Hello, yeah I wouldn't risk it, crickets from outside can have parasites and pesticides also wild-caught ones often times don't have as much "meat" on the. I would suggest trying to breed dubia roaches they are really easy to breed you just buy one batch and you never have to buy again. Also if your bearded dragon is an adult you can feed superworms.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It depends on where you buy crickets from and your local temperatures. Some companies, like Josh's Frogs, have a live arrival guarantee. Before you place an order for crickets, check what the temperatures are going to be during shipping so they don't overheat/freeze. I would recommend requesting that you pick them up at the post office. Check reviews for the quality of the bugs.

Here's a trusted vendor:
Wondereful, Thanks! I think I'll get it a try. Maine is pretty cold in Winter, Spring and Fall. High humidity. Our post office is only a 2 minutes drive so I'll see if I can pick them up there. Thanks for the info!

Lilya18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please don’t catch crickets outside it can make your bearded dragon sick or give it parasites. You could try buying some crickets and then breed them so you don’t have to spend so much money

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yeah man you shouldn’t be catching bugs from outside. Every website I’ve seen says not to do that, and you don’t know where those crickets have been. I’m not sure if Dubia roaches are cheaper but I’ve heard that they are easy to breed, so you could use those as an alternative to crickets.
Actually, most dubia roaches are a bit more than crickets, but cheaper in the long run if you breed them.