• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket infestation?

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A few crickets escaped as I was feeding my beardie. I found some that escaped but will the others that I could not find breed and infest my home?

I bought the crickets from a large chain petstore, PetSmart.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No they will just die inside within a day or so from lack of water. There eggs they lay needs to be in a substrate and stay moist for about 2 weeks to hatch so no worries of them infesting your house

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's what I thought. I did see some YouTube bids on how to breed crickets and the requirement seemed complex. I am still on a seek and destroy mission though.

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You should totally be fine.

I've had many feeders escape, but from my experience crickets don't go nuts... You might be finding them for a day or so.

Now, when I hard a bird, I had a bunch of meal worms escape. Those expletive deletives were still living/breeding a year after they got out. I still found them when I moved out! :D

But you should be fine :)

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i kick the dogs out the room and set the beardies loose on them gone in mins those banded crickets are the worst jumpy and fast if your not quick enough they are off on a mission good luck catchin them ;D

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lolll I'm glad someone asked because those crickets are tricky! I was watching tv and noticed something crawling on the floor...yep a runaway cricket! :mad: ....beadie to the rescue (yum, yum, yum, yummmm)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i had placed a bin (56 qt sterilite) full of crix up on the snake cage on Friday night. Saturday morning, it got knocked off. There were somewhere around 1500 crickets in there. One or two sounds wonderful!!!!!!! ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
O M G, Gina! I've had up to 5 escape, but 1500! Yikes. I'd be itchy for a month. ;D

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea we might have to move over 1500, I don't even know if orkin could have made me feel secure :D

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
i kick the dogs out the room and set the beardies loose on them gone in mins those banded crickets are the worst jumpy and fast if your not quick enough they are off on a mission good luck catchin them ;D

be careful with those brown banded as I think you are talking about camel back crickets. the ones that live under your house? If so they have a very hard shell and of course could have come in contact with insecticides or other things that could harm your beardie.

Ohh and that is one thing I am not worried about is a insect infestation as I am a pest control guy and have been for a little over 11 years

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sweet niblets! Speak of the crickets... as I read a cricket just strolled across my carpet! I have them in a cricket case and in a plastic bag-geesh!

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
be careful with those brown banded as I think you are talking about camel back crickets. the ones that live under your house? If so they have a very hard shell and of course could have come in contact with insecticides or other things that could harm your beardie.

Ohh and that is one thing I am not worried about is a insect infestation as I am a pest control guy and have been for a little over 11 years
[/quote]

i dont use them i bought 1000 crix adult silent browns they sent me the wrong ones out not just wrong crickets but wrong size also was well gutted, so i phoned them and they sent me more adult silent browns free of charge i wasnt equipt for those banded crix they were bouncin off everythin they also climb glass unlike any other cricket i know of got rid of them tubbed them all up and sold them to the local pet shop as they were runnin low over xmas, if they send me them again by mistake that bag wont be gettin opened.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
O M G, Gina! I've had up to 5 escape, but 1500! Yikes. I'd be itchy for a month.

I had 11 very glutenous dragons, and one surprised Chi when it was all over. Of course the shop vac got fed well too. Occasionally, I'm still finding a cricket here and there.

I'm still thankful it wasn't one of the 10 roach bins!! :eek: :eek:

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
i had placed a bin (56 qt sterilite) full of crix up on the snake cage on Friday night. Saturday morning, it got knocked off. There were somewhere around 1500 crickets in there. One or two sounds wonderful!!!!!!! ;D

1,500?! I bet you wished you had a flamethrower!

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
There always seems to be 1 or 2 that get out everytime I feed Ozzy. I can hear them chirping behind the oven or refrigerator for days sometimes. Once one came crawling out and he was alost black.....looked like he was the one behind the oven. We find them all around the house. They are creepy fast little bugs that do no damage. LOL