• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cranky Beardie

Seneca3

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon is about 4 months old (this is an estimate). I was able to pick him up before, but suddenly he became irritable and afraid of my hand. He'll puff up and hiss if I even get near him and if I do take him out to give a bath or just to hold him, he'll jump and escape. He's also been turning a darker color as well.

He doesn't eat much in one sitting. He'll eat maybe 3 Dubia roaches. Rarely, he'll eat six, but that's hardly ever. I'm trying to feed him more often so he's getting enough. He likes leafy greens much more than the bugs. I'm not positive he's male either, could be female.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My educated guess based on the description you gave would be that he is coming into a shed cycle. Bearded dragons as well as most reptiles tend to get irritable during a shed because it is uncomfortable. It is also very common that their appetites change during shedding too and many will stop eating altogether for a period of time.
I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes giving them an extra 20-25 minute soak in 105 degree F water will help ease the itchiness and discomfort of the process. Just don't overdo the soaks. A single extra soak is all that is needed added to their normal once per week bath.
Give him some room as well and if he acts irritable don't force handling because it will only stress and irritate him more.
Soon as he sheds he will be back to normal.
Hope that helps:)
Enjoy!

Seneca3

Bearded Dragon Egg
I thought that might be why to, but he did shed last week. He was fine during that time.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's quite possible that he wasn't finished shedding or could be that he is just being cranky and testing...showing you he is the Big Bad Dragon. I would double check your setup making sure all of his temps and gradient are correct and if they are then I would suggest just giving him a bit more room. Don't handle him when he is acting up and don't modify his feeding schedule. He will not starve himself so if he doesn't eat one feeding then just wait til the next time and try again.
You might want to look for other things around him that might be stressing him out such as increased traffic or more noise than usual.
Truly it does not sound like you have anything to worry about and that given a little space and time he will chill out:)

Seneca3

Bearded Dragon Egg
He was still shedding! I thought that he had completely last week, but it was just his head and legs. His body finished shedding yesterday. Thanks for the help, hopefully he'll become a bit better soon.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good deal! Always better when you figure out what's going on:)
He will for sure feel much much better after the shed is all done and happy too sporting his fresh new comfy suit :)
Enjoy!