• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cousin's new addition

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm very happy and excited for my cousin who is just as much a reptile/amphibian/invertebrate keeping fanatic as I am and now she has her own new face in her house. We both went to a reptile expo a few towns over earlier today in hopes of maybe finding something new (they had many gorgeous bearded dragons among other things) and we had an absolutely great time seeing everything. After some thought she came home with an axolotl! This was the second smallest one there. We probably won't know the gender for a while and she's still working on name ideas. I do love axolotls though personally I don't have that much interest in keeping them but I do know enough about them that I was able to help her get started I feel. We did some extra research and went out and bought all of the supplies later. I hope he/she settles in nicely over there and thrives. From what we learned they can be pretty fragile and care takes some getting used to. She does however want to hand tame him/her over the next few months.

Attachments

• Axolotl 1.JPG
    Axolotl 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Axolotl 2.JPG
    Axolotl 2.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Axolotl 3.JPG
    Axolotl 3.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 16

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm very happy and excited for my cousin who is just as much a reptile/amphibian/invertebrate keeping fanatic as I am and now she has her own new face in her house. We both went to a reptile expo a few towns over earlier today in hopes of maybe finding something new (they had many gorgeous bearded dragons among other things) and we had an absolutely great time seeing everything. After some thought she came home with an axolotl! This was the second smallest one there. We probably won't know the gender for a while and she's still working on name ideas. I do love axolotls though personally I don't have that much interest in keeping them but I do know enough about them that I was able to help her get started I feel. We did some extra research and went out and bought all of the supplies later. I hope he/she settles in nicely over there and thrives. From what we learned they can be pretty fragile and care takes some getting used to. She does however want to hand tame him/her over the next few months.
Awesome!! Axolotis are really cool critters and yes they can be pretty fragile and cold water temps are important.
Look forward to hearing how things go..

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Awesome!! Axolotis are really cool critters and yes they can be pretty fragile and cold water temps are important.
Look forward to hearing how things go..

Thanks! It's certainly going to be amazing to watch him grow! Can't wait until I get to see him again in his new tank! That and I look forward to hearing what she decides to name him :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
These are so cool but I don't have the skill to keep the water correct. That's why we got reptiles, so I don't have to worry about water changes and conditions LOL!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
These are so cool but I don't have the skill to keep the water correct. That's why we got reptiles, so I don't have to worry about water changes and conditions LOL!
keeping the water believe it or not is not that hard, theyre kinda like reptiles where stability is better than jumping all over the place. im sure theres an extent things cant reach but i know people (not from personal experience n ill say why in a sec) that rarely ever do water changes and dont check the parameters they should and their axolotls are thriving!

im not able to keep axies though cause i cant get the sub 73ish temps, my room is so warm that without a heater my tank stays at 79°-80°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

I know! I generally don't usually want to use much more standing water in the enclosure than a drinking dish and maybe a swimming area for some species because of the smell alone.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
keeping the water believe it or not is not that hard, theyre kinda like reptiles where stability is better than jumping all over the place. im sure theres an extent things cant reach but i know people (not from personal experience n ill say why in a sec) that rarely ever do water changes and dont check the parameters they should and their axolotls are thriving!

im not able to keep axies though cause i cant get the sub 73ish temps, my room is so warm that without a heater my tank stays at 79°-80°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah cooler terrarium species seem fewer and farther between though amphibians certainly seem to tolerate temperatures a little bit lower than reptiles which can be a plus in some circumstances or terrible in others..