• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Corn Snake Question

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My niece is getting a corn snake and Ive read they also need a temperature gradient inside their enclosures. Ive read this can be done with under the tank heaters, but I know you aren't suppose to use them much and Im not sure my niece would understand how to use one. Can this be done with lighting like a bearded dragons enclosure? Ive read the highest the temp needs to be is 85° and the corn snake will be in a a 40gal breeder tank that Im giving her, what wattage would the lightning need to be?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat for my corns. The wattage depends on the size of the tank. You want it to get warm enough to heat the enclosure to the desired temps, but with a thermostat, you never have to worry about a high wattage CHE getting too hot, because the thermostat does the regulating for you. I'm not a big fan of under tank heaters myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, thanks.
I read they don't need actual lighting, just natural sunlight from the house, is that true?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yep, I don't use any additional lighting. On dreary days, I'll turn on the lamp to brighten things up. You can provide additional light if you want to, but nothing terrible will happen if you don't.

It's best to keep them away from windows, of course. Direct sunlight hitting the enclosure can turn it into an oven pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk