• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Controller for Vivarium

Lizard (Kyle)

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

I've searched the net and many forums with mixed results. I'm looking for information on micro-controllers for heat, light, etc for our enclosure. Not just controller, but sensors as well. The ones I've seen only have a few outlets, and usually only one temp sensor. Unless, of course, I feel like spending well over $100, more like 2 or 3 or more. Which I don't care to do.

I did see a couple posts where people tried making their own with Arduino or Raspberry Pi, but the posts don't really progress much. I'm assuming people just give up and buy something ready made.

I'm basically a nerd at heart, and love anything to do with computers and such. So, I've ordered a starter Arduino kit and will be giving it a shot to build what I cannot find. Ideally, it will end up with multiple sensors, and ability to control more than 2 outputs.

Has anyone here tried to do this already? What would you like to see in your ideal controller? I've got most of my ideas written down for what I want it to do, just gotta get the parts and write the code. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I love a challenge, and don't give up easily. Would there be any interest in this, when it's complete? Of course, once I start the build, I'll post pics and results.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll get some good suggestions on what to include that I may not have thought about yet.

Kyle