• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constantly Black Beard.

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys. I rescued a couple of beardies about 4 months or so ago. I'm kinda worried about this guy. His beard stays black constantly. Does this mean he is sick? It's been that way sense I got him. Temps are all good, Vivs good, he's not eating a whole lot, but he does eat.... figured that could be maybe cuz of the winter. Temp is 110. I'll post pics of when I got him to now. Please any info on this constant black beard would be appreciated. Thank you!

These are him now... as you can see his underside is completly light
IMG_6770.JPG
IMG_7259.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

The last two were when I first got him. He wasn't very healthy then, they didn't take good care of him. His beard has always been dark. Is this normal??

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is he able to see any other beardies from where he's at? If my boy so much as catches a glimpse of another dragon, he goes jet black.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Actually yes! When I rescued the two they were in a super small cage. I got them separated but still kept them in the same room. He does bob a lot! lol I didn't think about that.

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! Just wasn't sure if that's "normal." He has plenty of energy and def hops around a lot. That would make sense I suppose! Lol. Should probably separate and see. Thank you so much!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would also lower that temp down around 100F it's likely a bit hot as well. Do you use the red heat lamp for basking?? I ask because any colored lighting is bad for their eyes and can cause eye damage. If you are needing heat at nighttime if it gets below 65F do a CHE. During the day just a basking bulb and tube style T5 HO 10.0 or a T8 for the UVB