• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused ? is this normal ?

kaya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Soo I was making my bed and I looked over my shoulder at Betty and her eyes were closed and Inflated...like balloons and I just about had a freakin heart attack and within a few seconds they were normal again(not swollen/inflated) but she was moving her eyes really weird as if her eye balls were almost stuck to her eye lid or she was disoriented ...she was sort of rolling her eyes back n forth so my first reaction was to turn off her lights because she was closing the eye that was closest to the light. This is when I realized the bulb was a little black where it emits light and burnt looking brown on the socket.... I haven't thought to check these bulbs because I got them August 8, the day I got her. The burnt bulb is a exto terra 10.0 uvb&uva, and I also have a reptisun basking bulb which looks fine . theyre in a double dome fixture by Zoomed. Betty is 7-8 years old and she came with the light fixture so I'm not sure if its 7 years old too. Besides this she is shedding around her eye , especially the eye she was closing . I'm just not sure if it was the bulb that malfunctioned or is it the light fixture thats over used ?and could that cause her eyes to swell up for a few seconds...? I'm getting a new bulb today, any suggestions ? And besides this she seems really healthy, everything seems normal .

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 39

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've heard that when they shed they bulge their eyes out like that. And from what you're saying that she's actually shedding I think that's exactly what happened. But I'm totally new to dragons

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
lol its freaky to see, but eye bulging is normal, she is just loosening shed from around her eyes. Your bulbs need changing every 6 months, the fixture should be fine

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The eye bulging is one of those gross beardie things that they always do. We don't always get to see it but usually it's because they are just stretching the skin. If they bulge the eye and it stays like that for hours, then it's a sign of something else like too much vitamin A.

The light you are using is not good for bearded dragons. Coil bulbs don't put out enough UVB to penetrate the depth of the tank. If used on top of a mesh tank, there is no UVB output because the mesh will block it. The best bulb to use is a tube style bulb like a T8 10.0 or a T5 10.0 . A T8 bulb should be mounted inside your tank but a T5 can be used on top of the mesh. T8's are more common to find in store where T5's you may have to order online. Just to let you know too. You need a fixture for the bulb and a T8 is bigger so won't fit into a T5 fixture and vise versa.

Latest posts