• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Color? Age? How to get him used to me?

Erenn

Bearded Dragon Egg
9614E511-651C-47FA-A91C-D015CBCB154A.jpeg

D6E349E4-DB6A-4B6E-A5C9-AB3C98B78826.jpeg

(I got rid of the red light today so no need to worry!)

I need a little help on identifying his colour morph and age. I got him from a pet store on Nov 18th (even though I never usually get my exotics from pet stores…he just looked like he needed a new home).

i also need a little advice on how to make him love me. He’s hissed at my hand a few times and he eats in very small portions everyday.
I don’t know if I should handle him even if he does try to run away or let him be.
And I can’t handle him without him running away! Will all the furniture in my room, it’s pretty dangerous. Especially since the little dude can run when motivated!

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'd say he is def a couple months old.

If he runs away it is okay just let him be. He needs to acclimate to his new home first and get used to you being around his space. Pet him inside the enclosure first and hand-feed him until he is comfortable, then slowly start taking him out of the enclosure for short periods of time. Let him explore the room he is kept in, he will feel safer.

If you cannot let him run around and be active, I suggest setting up an area where he can. They need to run around a little bit each day or have tons to do inside the enclosure.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hand-feeding is pretty much the main thing. And just making sure you are doing everything on his terms. If you think he feels unsafe back off a little bit. Just take baby steps, he will be really spunky right now because he looks like he is still a baby but he will mellow out.

Erenn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'd say he is def a couple months old.

If he runs away it is okay just let him be. He needs to acclimate to his new home first and get used to you being around his space. Pet him inside the enclosure first and hand-feed him until he is comfortable, then slowly start taking him out of the enclosure for short periods of time. Let him explore the room he is kept in, he will feel safer.

If you cannot let him run around and be active, I suggest setting up an area where he can. They need to run around a little bit each day or have tons to do inside the enclosure.
Ok! Thank you.
And maybe I should set up a spot where he can run around, maybe order some plastic playpen or make one.
I definitely don’t trust him to be running around in my room, I’d never see him again!

So even if he does run away and hiss at my hand, I still pet him? He seems absolutely terrified of me.

Erenn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hand-feeding is pretty much the main thing. And just making sure you are doing everything on his terms. If you think he feels unsafe back off a little bit. Just take baby steps, he will be really spunky right now because he looks like he is still a baby but he will mellow out.
Alrighty, thank you. I’ll try to hand feed him more often.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok! Thank you.
And maybe I should set up a spot where he can run around, maybe order some plastic playpen or make one.
I definitely don’t trust him to be running around in my room, I’d never see him again!

So even if he does run away and hiss at my hand, I still pet him? He seems absolutely terrified of me.
I've got a plastic play pen for mine, they both bud there heads against the walls of it to get out of it lol.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok! Thank you.

Sorry, to the last part, no. If he is scared just let him be and let him calm down.

Put a shirt of yours inside the enclosure so he gets used to your scent. Just go at him slowly and from under him. They have a third eye on their head sort of, it detects shadows and lets them know when they are being preyed on in the wild.

Erenn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry, to the last part, no. If he is scared just let him be and let him calm down.

Put a shirt of yours inside the enclosure so he gets used to your scent. Just go at him slowly and from under him. They have a third eye on their head sort of, it detects shadows and lets them know when they are being preyed on in the wild.
Ooh, ok, thanks! I’ll try the shirt thing, that’s actually a good idea— surprised I haven’t heard of it before.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ooh, ok, thanks! I’ll try the shirt thing, that’s actually a good idea— surprised I haven’t heard of it before.
I never did it with mine; I got them as adults and they were already pretty warmed up with people. My newest one is still a bit jumpy but we are getting there :).

Erenn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I never did it with mine; I got them as adults and they were already pretty warmed up with people. My newest one is still a bit jumpy but we are getting there :).
Aw, how cute! I completely understand the jumpy part. If I get a new bearded dragon, I’d probably get an adult. As much as I love the babies, they’re a lot quicker and smaller so it’s scary handling them outside of their enclosure lol