• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cold Beardy?

Tanner

Bearded Dragon Egg
So last night it got around 60 degrees in my beardys terrarium..and instead of her hoping on her basking spot like normal she stayed in her hide on the cooler part of the terrarium not moving.
She was cold to touch... So I moved her to her basking spot.
She seemed frozen barely moving.
About an hour under her lamp she seemed back to normal.
She ate good today and now is acting normal.
She is 4 months old and eats like a champ. The temperature during the day and uva/uvb is perfect.
I'm guessing she just got to cold?
I bought a cermaric heater bulb 100w to come on tonight.
Anyone have any thoughts?
*I keep my house around 60 degrees during the summer and stays around that in the winter.
3608aa07e7a6949a4a6fb893a1b5a6bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is too cold for a baby to drop at night.. 65F is as low as you should allow it to get, but as babies it doesn't take much to take them down at that age...so if that is your night time temps then yes have that CHE going to bring it to about 68-70F night time..Gotta remember these critters are desert dwellers.

Tanner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you it's hovering around 70-75 tonight. Hoping tomorrow will be a better morning. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
That is too cold for a baby to drop at night.. 65F is as low as you should allow it to get, but as babies it doesn't take much to take them down at that age...so if that is your night time temps then yes have that CHE going to bring it to about 68-70F night time..Gotta remember these critters are desert dwellers.
Yes I agree their temp at night shouldn't be below 70, my Bella even has blankets and a black light to keep her warm at night but you don't want it took warm because their used to the temp dropping at night. I keep hers between 70 and 75 at night.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes I agree their temp at night shouldn't be below 70, my Bella even has blankets and a black light to keep her warm at night but you don't want it took warm because their used to the temp dropping at night. I keep hers between 70 and 75 at night.

Get rid of the black light. Beardies can see all sorts of color spectrums that we can't see. Black light still gives off some light and can cause shadows overhead that disrupt their sleep cycle. At night use a low watt CHE, it gives off heat but no light. Also blankets are only really used for comfort. They are cold blooded so they don't hold heat like we do when they are wrapped in a blanket.

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
Get rid of the black light. Beardies can see all sorts of color spectrums that we can't see. Black light still gives off some light and can cause shadows overhead that disrupt their sleep cycle. At night use a low watt CHE, it gives off heat but no light. Also blankets are only really used for comfort. They are cold blooded so they don't hold heat like we do when they are wrapped in a blanket.
I'm well aware about my baby being a cold blooded repilitle first of all that's why she has her blankets for comfort only. We all have our own ways of caring for our babies and l took Bella to her Dr a few times for well check ups and asked a lot of questions to be well educated to give her the best of care secondly I know about her lighting and her light she had at night doesn't bother her, l know because she sleeps well through the night with it scene she was a month old. My baby is very healthy THANK you.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just want other members to know that the blanket is used for comfort, you didn't state that in your post so I just wanted people to know that might not know.

As far as the lighting, Google bearded dragon and lights at night. Reptile Magazine has some great articles one written by the leading reptile light expert Frances Baines. She also has a FB page on reptile lighting. If your dragon is every not eating, or sleeping way to much during the day, it's most likely because it's brain never turns off at night because it's seeing shadows through the Parietal "eye" on top of it's head.

I'm glad that you are responsible and taking her for wellness checks and trying to learn as much about them as you can.

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
A
Another thing regarding Bellas lighting we have a routine Bella and I we have snuggle time she falls asleep on me then I put her to bed . I check on her and she's always sound asleep so I know nothing is bothering her and I've checked with her Dr. It's fine you give advice but people should check with their beardies dr. I personally feel I'm doing just fine raising my baby girl she's very happy and healthy so please don't be so quick to tell me how to care for her.

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
A

Another thing regarding Bellas lighting we have a routine Bella and I we have snuggle time she falls asleep on me then I put her to bed . I check on her and she's always sound asleep so I know nothing is bothering her and I've checked with her Dr. It's fine you give advice but people should check with their beardies dr. I personally feel I'm doing just fine raising my baby girl she's very happy and healthy so please don't be so quick to tell me how to care for her.
I'm well aware of her third eye on the top of her head, I'm more aware of how to care for my baby then I express here I don't say to much. Because eveyones babies are different and so is the situation. If I feel I have the right answers I share them to help.and secondly my baby doesn't sleep during the day she too busy being happy exploring and being loved.

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
I apologize I didn't express properly about blankets for Bella they are just for her comfort. And do your research about night lighting, I choose to use the black light it works for my daughter

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A

All that was being done is making sure that anyone reading this post is aware of their care.. I would like to ask you this: you say she is always sound asleep WHEN you check on her....So do you watch her non stop?? so you really can't say that she is always asleep. My point being is you really don't know 100% that the black light is not affecting her.

we try very hard to keep new members aware of good husbandry, what they do with that info is up to them.