• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coil bulb okay?

Fidget Midget

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a reptiglow 5.0 UVB bulb... which I thought was fine. But I just read in another thread that coil bulbs are bad for beardies... can blind them! This is a coil (I think), but it's reptiglow..... do I need to get a new bulb?
This is what it looks like:
repitglow.jpg

- Lauren

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I would get a tube bulb. It is known that coils can cause harm to our dear bearded dragons.

Fidget Midget

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is it just blindness or does it cause other types of harm? Not that blindness isn't a good enough reason for me to replace it, I'm just curious.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a bit more than blindness. It has been noted that these bulbs give an abnormally high exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Symptoms include not opening eyes, lethargy, pet diabetes, not basking. Serious cases have swollen eyelids and lesions resembling burns. This is a condition called photo-kerato-conjunctivitis.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh my goodness. yes, coil bulbs are very bad for bearded dragons...i hope you replaced it asap!

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
glad to hear it....you did replace it, right? sorry, not trying to be annoying, just caring.

Fidget Midget

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep. There's a tube UVB bulb in there now. 5.0 Reptiglo. Originally I had both b/c they are in such a huge viv... but now the tube is inside and therefore can saturate more of the tank. Although.... I believe it is only UVB, not UVA/UVB.... is that a serious problem?

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
good news. i'm not sure if it produces both uva and uvb. maybe someone else can help?

i'm partial to the repti sun 10.0. it produces enough output for these dessert creatures from the farthest distance.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad to hear you got rid of the coil. That is excellent news!

Originally, I was thinking the repti glo 5.0 was fine for bearded dragons. But I went to the Exo-Terra official web site (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_fluorescent_bulbs.php) and read up on what the vendor says about this bulb.

It appears that it does produce UVA and UVB. However, this bulb was manufactured forreptiles living in rain forests and other tropical areas. It also says it is for reptiles living in shaded areas.

I personally like the ReptiSun 10.0. Currently this is the only bulb on the market that emmits UVB the furthest distance.

Fidget Midget

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, I'm glad to hear it emits both UVA and UVB... but I guess I'll look into the 10.0. I want my babies as healthy and happy as possible.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. The mercury vapor bulb is a favorite too. We had one, but it got too hot in the viv.

I still like the tube because it reaches the entire viv. So, no matter where the bearded dragon is, he/she will get the necessary UVB/UVA.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
There have been numerous posts in here about lighting and even though there are other options out there, I think you will just see ReptiSun 10.0 mentioned more than others. This isn't to say that direct harm will come to your beardie using another brand, but I have come across some independent testing that just shows an all around best value for the dollar if it is available to you.

ReptiGlo is a ExoTerra offering whereas the ReptiSun is from ZooMed and just comparing tube to tube (haven't seen any tests on the coil other than that they don't have a wide coverage area) the ZooMed has tested greater distances. So I think it is more the worry factor more than any real health issues.

I had read the blindness thing with coil bulbs to be analogous to humans staring at the sun directly - a high concentration of light can cause damage if stared at for a great length of time. And then add that to a poor range of coverage not allowing your bearded dragon to absorb the UVB no matter where he is in the viv, just makes it for "not the best choice", that's all.

But we don't need to worry about that now anymore do we!?! Parenthood, isn't it grand ;D

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a coil bulb (petshop advise). I am now taking it out after just reading the above. My question is. When I replace with a strip light should the light cover the whole viv or leave a little shaded area. I thought there needed to be a shaded area for my beardie to go to if she wants to during the day. She does have a hideaway which shades the light and she uses, will this be sufficient?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The purpose of the shaded area is to cool down and not get away from light. I would recommend the ReptiSun 10.0 tube light. It covers the most area for getting UVB to your beardie.

Just checking to make sure you have lights on and lights off. Lights should be on for 12-14 hours and off for 10-12 hours.

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:) Yes we definitely have lights out time. Her viv is 18" deep, 36" length and 24" high (sorry don't work in cm's) what length strip shld I get? Thanks Freda n Lotty.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most likely you will need the 36". Not sure of your setup, but if it a standard reptile viv with a hood, you will see the socket for the tube. You'll need to measure that.

Here's a link to the bulb:
ReptiSun 10.0