• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coconut Oil

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
Is Organic Coconut Oil a benefit to dragon health? I know Coconut Oil is a great all natural Health benefit for humans cats dogs rats and other mammals, but is it good for Bearded Dragons? In most cases for mammals its good for both external and internal health. It's showed great help for my Cat and Dog's Digestive system and helps keep their ear health and clean when used to clean their ears.
Could I put this on my dragons skin? or in their food?
My dragon Quasimodo has a tendency to scratch herself on her arms and under her neck because her back foot gets stuck and tangled under her as she walks. She also stumbles and trips quite a bit, it would be nice to help treat her little cuts with some coconut oil like I do for my rats if accidently scratch one another.

Is Coconut Oil good or bad for my bearded dragons?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a good question. It's only now coming to our attention to the health benefits of coconut oil so i'm sure their isn't any tests on bearded dragons. My guess would be that if olive oil in small amounts is safe for them, then I don't see why you couldn't give them coconut oil. I wonder if coconut is an approved food on the food list.

I'm really interested in hearing about why you gave it to your cat. I have a cat with allergies and a sensitive stomach, I wonder if I should try coconut oil.

XxB4DT34M4T3xX

Hatchling Dragon
That's a good question. It's only now coming to our attention to the health benefits of coconut oil so i'm sure their isn't any tests on bearded dragons. My guess would be that if olive oil in small amounts is safe for them, then I don't see why you couldn't give them coconut oil. I wonder if coconut is an approved food on the food list.

I'm really interested in hearing about why you gave it to your cat. I have a cat with allergies and a sensitive stomach, I wonder if I should try coconut oil.

I use coconut oil primarily for my cat because it is good on their digestive system and good for the teeth skin and eats. I use it to clean his ears and my dogs ears. They also LOVE to just lick it off the spoon. It is a great holistic treatment for just about anything. For humans and pets, (most pets to my knowledge) I take a spoon full of it when I have a soar throat and I give it to my dog and cat if they seem to not be feeling well. I cant say for sure it will help with your cats allergies or not, but it is definitely a benefit and wont hurt her. My sheds less and doesn't get ear infections anymore. If you want to clean out your cats ears I take a thin soft cloth and get a small amount of coconut oil and just clean it out with my finger through the cloth. I highly recommend you try this. My cat loves it like a treat. :) I'm going to research coconut for bearded dragons today.